Manx Telecom increase line rental charge.

gd0nfn

Mind you, just found out there's a very weak EE 4G signal in Ballaugh. I wonder if one of those super duper directional antennae might make it useable

Almost certainly not. You being able to hear a powerful base station does not mean that the base station will be able to hear your tiny transmission.

Three (3) now works on the IOM for data. Same price as UK. Haven't tried it yet.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

You can enjoy Feel At Home whether you're on Pay Monthly or Pay As You Go, using a tablet, phone, Mobile Wi-Fi or dongle. On all our Pay Monthly plans, except Three Essential plans, you'll automatically use your monthly unit allowance and Add-on unit allowance to call and text the UK and use data, and if you're on Pay As You Go you'll need to convert your Pay As You Go credit into an Add-on to get a unit allowance to fully enjoy Feel At Home.

Three (3) now works on the IOM for data. Same price as UK. Haven't tried it yet.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

You can enjoy Feel At Home whether you're on Pay Monthly or Pay As You Go, using a tablet, phone, Mobile Wi-Fi or dongle. On all our Pay Monthly plans, except Three Essential plans, you'll automatically use your monthly unit allowance and Add-on unit allowance to call and text the UK and use data, and if you're on Pay As You Go you'll need to convert your Pay As You Go credit into an Add-on to get a unit allowance to fully enjoy Feel At Home.

But isn't that pitched at UK residents on a roaming basis? If you are based here all the time, as with any of those other territories listed, and therefore incurring permanent foreign charges regularly I think you might soon be switched off.

But isn't that pitched at UK residents on a roaming basis? If you are based here all the time, as with any of those other territories listed, and therefore incurring permanent foreign charges regularly I think you might soon be switched off.

Don't know. I have friends abroad who were already using it more or less permanently without any issue. I don't think 3 care. Most people's actual cellular data use is relatively tiny because of wifi being ubiquitous. You wouldn't be using it for local calls.

It's dumb having to use a different sim to stay connected every time you cross a border. So it will likely make sense for anyone who ever also leaves the rock.

Almost certainly not. You being able to hear a powerful base station does not mean that the base station will be able to hear your tiny transmission.

With the cell being about 42km away I agree that this is likely to be the limiting factor.

One of the real issues with EE (the only UK network that consistently comes up in a network search up north) is that they have yet to make inroads into Band 20 on 800 MHz. This is better for long distance transmission than their common 1800 MHz cells.

I have been using EE 4G across as my only connection now for about 8 months and it works really well although the cell is not too far away. I have already bought another router and antenna for further location in Europe so it won't cost anything to try out here apart from an hour or two's time. It is a very long shot but nothing ventured etc etc.

PS woolley Vodafone have a deal at £18/month for unlimited call and text roaming over all of Europe including here and CI which includes calls to foreign countries too except calls originating in the UK. Roaming data is capped a 4GB / month though.

Archived