Manx Telecom increase line rental charge.

gd0nfn

Did I miss their press release - just got my telephone bill from MT and notice that from 1st September their line rental charge is to increase by 3.65% an extra 50p each month from almost every household on the Island will look very good on their books!

They had sent a letter a few months ago. I think they increased the line rental and decreased the manx telecom broadband fee.

Cost neutral for manx telecom broadband subscribers if I remember correctly, but will affect those on sure broadband.

Providers in UK doing exactly same.

True but you can get line rental for £12 a month there. Yeah, yeah, you can't compare the two for all the usual nebulous reasons.

Mind you, just found out there's a very weak EE 4G signal in Ballaugh. I wonder if one of those super duper directional antennae might make it useable.... I haven't made a landline call for ages anyway.

Providers in UK doing exactly same.

True but you can get line rental for £12 a month there. Yeah, yeah, you can't compare the two for all the usual nebulous reasons.

Mind you, just found out there's a very weak EE 4G signal in Ballaugh. I wonder if one of those super duper directional antennae might make it useable.... I haven't made a landline call for ages anyway.

Not sure how that would work. Cheapest mobile data is around £1.80 per GB on PAYG.

Unless you are a light user the costs will add up.

Of course if you take a UK mobile contract then it might be cheaper. However most contracts don't allow tethering or only limited tethering.

"Double speed" 4G 50 GB/ month = £27.50 with EE . Tethering not an issue as a 4G router is used.

Not fabulously cheap but no line rental. Only snag is that you don't get a normal public IP address for an inward connection. They do fixed IP sims for that but not at that price....

Edit: Bringing a 12 dBi MIMO antenna from the uk at the weekend so we'll see how it goes.

"Double speed" 4G 50 GB/ month = £27.50 with EE . Tethering not an issue as a 4G router is used.

Not fabulously cheap but no line rental. Only snag is that you don't get a normal public IP address for an inward connection. They do fixed IP sims for that but not at that price....

Edit: Bringing a 12 dBi MIMO antenna from the uk at the weekend so we'll see how it goes.

Seems like a good deal if you monitor your data use carefully.

The problem at our house is that we use 200 -300 GB a month when I last checked.

An hour of YouTube in 720p on the telly is over 2GB.

Add in catch up TV and use across multiple devices and I suspect that our usage at the moment is more than before.

BB,

I think there's a timing logic in the GSM technology, if it's enabled then you will not be able to connect even if you manage to receive a strong signal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_site

"Some technologies, such as GSM, normally have a fixed maximum range of 35 kilometres (22 mi), which is imposed by technical limitations."

You have been warned!

Archived