The History Of Salisbury Steak

TheDruid-3X3

Awens to All:

When I was in Salisbury England, I went to a Steak House that was right across the road from Old Sarum Neolithic Circle Fort and when I looked over the Menu, I did not find 'Salisbury Steak' on the Menu.

When I asked the Waitress about it, she said that they don't have Salisbury Steaks in England and that it was actually a North American Recipe and that a lot of Tourists incorrectly assume it was Created in and named after Salisbury England.

So I decided to research the History of the Salisbury Steak and found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salisbury_steak

Seems it was Created by an American Doctor whose Surname was Salisbury:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Salisbury

Seems he was a Medical Doctor who had to deal with Sicknesses and Illnesses of American Civil War Soldiers and he created the Recipe for the goal of having some sort of Food that will help prevent Gastric Illnesses such as Diarrhea.

So it turns out that the Salisbury Steak was created by an American Doctor whose name was Salisbury and it seems that the popularity of the Recipe has not made it over the Pond to England even though there was Two World Wars with loads of American Soldiers coming over with a Taste for their Salisbury Steaks.

I am making my First Ever Salisbury Steak and here is the Recipe I am using:

INGREDIENTS

1 (10 1/2 ounce) can French onion soup
1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 egg
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1⁄4 cup ketchup
1 -3 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, to taste
1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
1⁄4 cup water

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, mix together 1/3 cup condensed French onion soup with ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt and black pepper.
Shape into 6 oval patties.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown both sides of patties.
Pour off excess fat.
In a small bowl, blend flour and remaining soup until smooth.
Mix in ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce and mustard powder.
Pour over meat in skillet.
Cover, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave the Manx Druid-3X3

A Hamburg steak was a bit of a piss take about Hamburg residents, so unsophisticated they called mince, -steak.

It ended up as probably the most popular beef meal in the modern era, so, no ham in a Hamburger.

Mince was a delicacy, prepared correctly it still is.

A Hamburg steak was a bit of a piss take about Hamburg residents, so unsophisticated they called mince, -steak.

It ended up as probably the most popular beef meal in the modern era, so, no ham in a Hamburger.

not true, spain, portugal and the usa you get hamburger made of ham

You can get a "hamburger" with no meat in it at all, should you wish

You can get a "hamburger" with no meat in it at all, should you wish

True, I've never come across a hamburger actually made of ham (i.e pork preserved using either salting, smoking or wet curing), could be quite delicious I guess.

just watch out in the netherlands they use horse meat

Plenty of countries eat horse meat. I've tried it and it wasn't for me but I don't have a problem with it, I do have a problem with it being as a substitute for something else without full disclosure.

I do find it strange that humans have decided that some meats are acceptable to eat and some are not. Why is eating a cow see as normal but eating a horse seen as a bit strange? Having said that I did see cooked dog in Vietnam and there was no way I could eat that.

Supermarket I go to in Spain regularly has chicken burgers, rabbit burgers, beef burgers, pork burgers and burgers made from salmon, salt cod and tuna.

You can get lamb burgers at Tesco, they describe them as Lamb Grills.

But likewise I've not seen burgers made out of preserved pork (ham)

Bacon burgers are sometimes sold, Bernard Matthews did some at one time, bunny burgers ? why not, Hugh thingy Summatstall did some on River Cottage

Burger de Cheval easily available in Luxembourg, did try one to the disgust of the ladies present, ---Meh!---beef is best i reckon.

Route 66 when Butch had it under the Villiers were the best that i have had.

I love how the Americans use tins of soup in all their recipes. I recently saw an online American recipe for chicken soup: 1 tin chicken soup, cut up processed chicken, milk, salt pepper. Oh how I LOLd.

Archived