Installing Windows 10 on SSD

I currently have a desktop PC with one HDD containing Windows 10 as well as all other programs and data. I'm going to install a SSD to house the OS (Windows 10) to improve boot up time and performance and leave everything else on the HDD.

My question is once I have installed Windows 10 on the SSD and boot from this will all the required links to the programs and data on the HDD be maintained or will I have to reinstall them?

You should notice a marked improvement once you do have the OS on your SSD, and if there's any space left over, your most commonly played games with long loading times are good candidates to put on there too.

Thanks guys, when I install the SSD does that automatically get assigned as the "boot partition i.e. C drive?

Yes, assuming you do things correctly :) . In your BIOS you can select the device used for the boot.

Ok nearly ready to start the process, I've got a 120GB SSD and will retain my 350GB HDD. Do you think it's worth installing any programs on the SSD in addition to Windows 10? I don't have any games but use Microsoft Office and Photoshop Elements as well as other programs that aren't demanding on the hardware.

If you have 120GB then I'd just be a tad careful as it could fill up quickly.

There's a disk clean utility in Windows to help you should you need it.

Putting programs on your new SSD should be fine for space, just repoint any "data" folders to the legacy drive. You can also repoint "My Documents/Pictures/Downloads" to a folder on your legacy drive.

A basic Windows10 (?) install is less than 20gb with Office. I've got a 120gb SSD myself and even with a ton of stuff on there, I'm only 80% full.

Would recommend using something like Treesize Free to identify any big space suckers if you find yourself running out of space.

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

What's the durability of SSDs now? In the past the seemingly generous million write cycles could be destroyed by versions of Windows that just pecked at them every single second of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

OK went for a 240GB SanDisk from PC World and have installed it and set up the new system. When running the SanDisk SSD Dashboard software the interface speed is shown as 3.0 Gb/s with a recommendation to connect the SSD to a 6.0 Gb/s capable port.

Trouble is I'm running a 5+ year old Compaq Presario desktop that only has SATA II on the motherboard. Has anyone experience of using a PCI add in card to provide SATA III connections? There are loads on eBay but are they any good and compatible with older motherboards?

OK went for a 240GB SanDisk from PC World and have installed it and set up the new system. When running the SanDisk SSD Dashboard software the interface speed is shown as 3.0 Gb/s with a recommendation to connect the SSD to a 6.0 Gb/s capable port.

Trouble is I'm running a 5+ year old Compaq Presario desktop that only has SATA II on the motherboard. Has anyone experience of using a PCI add in card to provide SATA III connections? There are loads on eBay but are they any good and compatible with older motherboards?

You don't really need to do this - 3.0 Gb/s is fast enough.

You should be seeing an improved performance already?

A five year old cpu and gfx card is probably a bigger bottleneck than your sata connection. I think you'll only see a negligible improvement, if its even noticeable at all.

A five year old cpu and gfx card is probably a bigger bottleneck than your sata connection. I think you'll only see a negligible improvement, if its even noticeable at all.

So far performance is better than before, I don't run games but Photoshop Elements is now much more responsive. Maybe I'll keep an eye open for a cheap second hand motherboard and cpu!

Archived