Jobs

trmpton

1 minute ago, notwell said:

That isn't true at all.  Do you genuinely know anything about the sector or are you making assumptions based on very limited experience?

Well that job is very specific. There isn't a Manx person who could fill that is there? There shouldn't even be a need to advertise that. Just charge the company a set fee to get a work permit and give it to them. Interviewing any local is just a waste of everyone's time. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, notwell said:

That isn't true at all.  Do you genuinely know anything about the sector or are you making assumptions based on very limited experience?

Yes I do, and it's exactly the same to land a decent position in government.

• Like 1

Just now, finlo said:

Yes I do, and it's exactly the same to land a decent position in government.

What you need to speak Thai? I know a few of them are old and getting desperate but I'm not sure it's quite a prerequisite yet. 

6 minutes ago, hboy said:

What you need to speak Thai? I know a few of them are old and getting desperate but I'm not sure it's quite a prerequisite yet. 

No, as i suspect you allredy know most of the civil service emanate from the Manchester area and unless you do also you have no hope of getting your feet under the table of the gravy train.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Not every young person wants to be employed within a sector which is ethically bankrupt. No matter how much it pays. And nor do I. Personally I think egaming is much worse than tax avoidance. Which was our last real growth industry

Totally agree with you and there are a good few that feel the same

• Like 2

1 minute ago, finlo said:

No, as i suspect you allredy know most of the civil service emanate from the Manchester area and unless you do also you have no hope of getting your feet under the table of the gravy train.

Mancs / Manx .. 

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst we're on the subject of "jobs"...Ms Edge's CS pay-and-headcount crusade has elicited some interesting figures, according to the Examiner's account of Tynwald's debating.

UK apparently possesses 1 civil servant for every 116 head of population. The IoM possesses 1 civil servant for every 33 of us.

Tynwald declined to contemplate an externally conducted audit on the grounds of expense (£750k suggested) and the fact it might be "unsettling" for the poor dears. Instead they're going to use some internally produced figures. Wonder who'll be producing them?

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Whilst we're on the subject of "jobs"...Ms Edge's CS pay-and-headcount crusade has elicited some interesting figures, according to the Examiner's account of Tynwald's debating.

UK apparently possesses 1 civil servant for every 116 head of population. The IoM possesses 1 civil servant for every 33 of us.

Tynwald declined to contemplate an externally conducted audit on the grounds of expense (£750k suggested) and the fact it might be "unsettling" for the poor dears. Instead they're going to use some internally produced figures. Wonder who'll be producing them?

I imagine it's even less in some departments. A review is very clearly needed and if done correctly the rank and file have nothing to lose. In fact almost every rank and file public servant I've spoken to in the last few years knows exactly what the problem is. Which is too many ineffective and overpaid twats hanging round the upper echelons of the public sector with less and less staff to manage, and less and less to actually do, who are just sucking up cash that could be spent on delivering public services. It's a no brainer. I didn't believe in MARS at all but it at least drew a line and got rid and allowed for career progression underneath as people slowly shuffled up the ranks to fill the spaces left. This should give hope to the more junior staff and clear some space for them to move up but it's not how it's all being portrayed. Those with any sense who have career expectations should embrace it. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2

By my own admittance, I've got a couple of rels who are CS. They happily admit that they're not "pushed"....2 and 3 employed where there'd really only be enough for one in the private sector.

It's not just central Govt either, within the bigger LA's too, jobs for the boys, "no job" positions "created" from nowhere for mates...sorting it all out will be the challenge. Before it bankrupts us all.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 2