New bar/pub

Blaine

4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Not sure how true that is Dilli, Whisky is distilled in Canada. I have a hunch that you can call it whiskey but not Scotch. Hopefully one of our resident experts will have a line on this

All I can say is that the place in Sulby were told in no uncertain terms that they could not use the word "Whisky".http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/whisky-war-rages-over-manx-white-1276535.html

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dilligaf said:

All I can say is that the place in Sulby were told in no uncertain terms that they could not use the word "Whisky".

I do remember that. The only thing that stuff was good for was cleaning your paint brushes. I tried it once many many years ago and still can't get the feckin taste out of my mouth

48 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

All I can say is that the place in Sulby were told in no uncertain terms that they could not use the word "Whisky".http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/whisky-war-rages-over-manx-white-1276535.html

It looks as though the problem lay in the way it was distilled

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Not sure how true that is Dilli, Whisky is distilled in Canada. I have a hunch that you can call it whiskey but not Scotch. Hopefully one of our resident experts will have a line on this

I think it was more to do with the fact that it was a blend of other Whiskey's?

44 minutes ago, finlo said:

I think it was more to do with the fact that it was a blend of other Whiskey's?

I think that's allowed finlo but the article mentioned the fact that the distilling part wasn't right

How many MF members does it take to understand an article! 

It is the re-distilling after blending that was the issue at hand...

"Our view is that there is a law in the UK and in the European Union that lays down what constitutes whisky, and we don't believe that redistillation after maturation is included in that definition."

I think after an initial flurry of excitement they ran into some funding issues and the founder burned himself out a little bit

I guess they must have gotten over that hump and are now pressing forward

I'm looking forward to seeing what they can produce - craft gin is all the rage at the moment

8 hours ago, Declan said:

How many MF members does it take to understand an article

It is the re-distilling after blending that was the issue at hand...

"Our view is that there is a law in the UK and in the European Union that lays down what constitutes whisky, and we don't believe that redistillation after maturation is included in that definition."

OOH. Get you , the expert.

Maybe you should have intervened a bit sooner and saved Glen Kella a few bob.

19 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

I think after an initial flurry of excitement they ran into some funding issues and the founder burned himself out a little bit

I guess they must have gotten over that hump and are now pressing forward

I'm looking forward to seeing what they can produce - craft gin is all the rage at the moment

Anything other than a rather bland, half empty bar selling the same drinks at 10 times the price of the one sat in your fridge at home would be an improvement on the current offering round Douglas.

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:31 PM, Lxxx said:

So this new place anyway, anyone know much about it other than a little bit of gossip? Any hard facts?

They can't be far off as they have interviewed somebody for the chef's job

• 1 month later...
On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:51 PM, Blaine said:

I've heard it's open now, anyone been in yet?

not yet - they're only open Wednesday to Saturday I think?

Archived