Speeding

winnie

On 2017-7-21 at 2:55 PM, winnie said:

Can i get done for speeding in England with a Manx registered and plated car? 

No you can't full stop. There are no reciprocal rules in place between the IOM or any other EU Country. They can ticket you but so what as they can't enforce it as you are your own sovereign nation and not answerable to the faceless dictators. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Jakey said:

No you can't full stop. There are no reciprocal rules in place between the IOM or any other EU Country. They can ticket you but so what as they can't enforce it as you are your own sovereign nation and not answerable to the faceless dictators. 

But they can arrest you and impound your vehicle.

27 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

I wouldn't put that "can't enforce it" theory to the test .

He should put it to the test. At least it could mean one more irresponsible driver off our roads :)

i thought they made a licence application in the UK, or the IOM for UK drivers, and added points to that.

The recent German driver was banned in the IOM and fined, which meant he couldn't drive in the UK, but could in Germany, as any ban here was reciprocal with the UK, and the other way round.

Collect enough points and get banned in the UK on a UK temporary licence and you are automatically banned here, same works the other way round for a temporary licence issued here for UK drivers/riders.

I would agree that if you were actually stopped by the police then they would issue an on the spot fine. I doubt they would compound the vehicle for the sake of say£100, just give you a demand and take details.

Yes, 'or not break the law' is a valid comment. I was doing around 60mph on a large and fast A road at 10pm on a sunny evening with no houses around, but a cross-roads which had proberbly failed a risk assesment of some sort, so had a 50mph limit for 200yds!! I do drive responsibly, and to the conditions. I would say driving at 100mph over the mountain on a wet road is more dangerous, but thats legal.

It would be nice to know if any-one has actually been fined, as no-one is really sure what would happen.

1 minute ago, winnie said:

Yes, 'or not break the law' is a valid comment. I was doing around 60mph on a large and fast A road at 10pm on a sunny evening with no houses around, but a cross-roads which had proberbly failed a risk assesment of some sort, so had a 50mph limit for 200yds!!

So you either saw the signage and chose to not slow down, or you didn't see the signage which means you weren't paying attention.

1 hour ago, RIchard Britten said:

Possibly.  The important thing is I have never been caught if I have.

So you either saw the signage and chose to not slow down, or you didn't see the signage which means you weren't paying attention.

Just now, winnie said:

Who knows.  Maybe I can spot a big yellow speed camera or a police car better than you.

Or maybe I just good at sticking to the speed limit.

Archived