Speeding

winnie

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.  That's the simple answer, but I was caught by a speed camera, sent my licence and cheque for the fine like a good boy only to have it returned with a note saying they can't accept it from IOM.  I binned all further letters and the matter was dropped.  But it's best to observe the speed limit.

There aren't EU reciprocal agreements for enforcement of road traffic penalties, endorsements, penalty points or fines.

there are reciprocal recognition of disqualification provisions between IoM and UK.

however IoM can't put endorsements or points on a British or Nothern Irish licence, or vice versa- hence the fixed penalty regime doesn't work.

so you can be clocked, and fined, and taken to court in uk on a Manx, or any other licence.

With eu licences, in uk or IoM or Manx or uk licence holders in rest of eu that leaves an issue over collection of the financial penalty.

in your case Winnie, the IoM government will release the registered keeper details. So you may get a letter asking you to accept a fixed penalty. Then they'll realise they can't do that because you have an iom licence, so they may then issue a summons, or not.

43 minutes ago, John Wright said:

There aren't EU reciprocal agreements for enforcement of road traffic penalties, endorsements, penalty points or fines.

there are reciprocal recognition of disqualification provisions between IoM and UK.

however IoM can't put endorsements or points on a British or Nothern Irish licence, or vice versa- hence the fixed penalty regime doesn't work.

so you can be clocked, and fined, and taken to court in uk on a Manx, or any other licence.

With eu licences, in uk or IoM or Manx or uk licence holders in rest of eu that leaves an issue over collection of the financial penalty.

in your case Winnie, the IoM government will release the registered keeper details. So you may get a letter asking you to accept a fixed penalty. Then they'll realise they can't do that because you have an iom licence, so they may then issue a summons, or not.

A friend of mine is a traffic officer in the UK, and I've asked him previously about this. He says that if the infraction is minor  and he sees a foreign plate (or iom) he has in the past just not bothered, he's done this for both roadside stops and when he has been dealing with Gatsos.

The police guidelines for issuing a ticket are 10% + 2 miles an hour - so if it is a 50mph zone, its 57mph for example.

The police guidelines for a summons is 76 mph

Here are the CPS guidelines - http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_guidance_on_fixed_penalty_notices/

Car speedos aren't super accurate either, so you may be ok.

YMMV etc.

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:18 PM, winnie said:

Many thanks for the very helpful advice from most. Bit of luck i will get away with it.

Mr Britten - you can put the popcorn away now!!

How about you don't break the law in future?  That would be super easier than asking on a forum.

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:18 PM, winnie said:

Many thanks for the very helpful advice from most. Bit of luck i will get away with it.

Mr Britten - you can put the popcorn away now!!

If there's any justice then you won't :rolleyes:

Archived