La Colombe

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 05/09/2017 at 1:30 PM, La Colombe said:

Friction among the factions....

"Riders 'unhappy' with MGP facilities

Claims the Festival of Motorcyling needs to evaluate facilities

Facilities provided for some MGP competitors are not up to scratch and something needs to be done.

That's the view of the Chairman of the Manx Motorcycle Club,  Harvey Garton.

He says the success of the Festival, with its blend of Classic and MGP riders, means there is now not enough room for everyone.

And what is laid on for the competitors needs evaluating because the current set-up has led to criticism of the event. "

33 minutes ago, joebean said:

Of course you can do anything if you have the funds to do it. All you need is to divert some more taxpayer money from other areas of Government spending to make the MGP competitors happy. Of course, someone else will be unhappy that the money they needed for something has disappeared but hey ho... Alternatively we can introduce a bit more stealth taxation in the hope that no-one notices the cost of the promises of future happiness for all (or more specifically, anyone who has someone to speak on the media on their behalf).

I think there's mixed feelings about this, Havey Garton wasn't talking solely about MGP riders, he included most CTT riders in that statement. Quite a few who I spoke to were quite happy and there are others who will always have a problem. Things have been made worse by the H&S changes to the paddock. There are also too many riders for the space that's available. Many locals set up there which adds to the congestion and demand on services, this seems to be a recent thing since the demise of the Transit van and onset of motorhomes and suchlike.  

36 minutes ago, quilp said:

Quite a relief that forty grand was made available to fund the 5 extra doctors and anaesthetists. I wonder how the shipped - out seven are doing?

Most have been sent to hospitals near their home, including the Italian rider. The Australian rider has come back to Noble's to continue his treatment. One of the locals is back at Nobles and the other is still having treatment in Liverpool.  

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Most have been sent to hospitals near their home, including the Italian rider. The Australian rider has come back to Noble's to continue his treatment. One of the locals is back at Nobles and the other is still having treatment in Liverpool.  

At what cost and to who?

9 hours ago, Max Power said:

I think there's mixed feelings about this, Havey Garton wasn't talking solely about MGP riders, he included most CTT riders in that statement. Quite a few who I spoke to were quite happy and there are others who will always have a problem. Things have been made worse by the H&S changes to the paddock. There are also too many riders for the space that's available. Many locals set up there which adds to the congestion and demand on services, this seems to be a recent thing since the demise of the Transit van and onset of motorhomes and suchlike.  

Grumblings from some of the lower order TT competitors on this subject in June too. Lack of facilities including portaloos.

10 hours ago, Max Power said:

Many people complain about many things and we have many politicians who respond with promises to reach out and do something about it. Regardless of the circumstances of this particular issue and who is complaining, the response can't continually be to throw more money that we don't actually have at it. Other solutions may exist. I don't have any axe to grind in this issue but maybe the solution might involve thinking about the space available and making the number of people and things attempting to fit in it more realistic. It's called cutting your cloth. What we keep hearing is promises to address issues with more spending, because that is deemed more popular, when we need a few more politicians capable of realising that essential services are already being impacted by a lack of resources and many residents are sick of rising costs being passed on to them. 

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Grumblings from some of the lower order TT competitors on this subject in June too. Lack of facilities including portaloos.

I think the shower and toilet block is inadequate for the number of competitors and their teams now, it was ok when it was built but most riders stayed in hotels and guest houses at that time. It's a pity we can't find a use for the area outside of race periods to justify the extra spending?

Archived