Samphire gone forever ?

Neil Down

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Lxxx said:

It is yes. Anyone been since it's reopened?

Yes. Sells itself as “exquisite dining”. 

My worst dining experience on the IoM this year.

Tables too close. Tables very small.  Crockery too large to sit on table and leave space for glasses, side dishes, etc.

Service hit and miss.

Bottled water never arrived

Specials not offered.

Wine overpriced, seriously overpriced, a £5.99 retail bottle of Albariño on the list for £26

Bread with olive oil and balsamic came with malt vinegar.

My main, turbot,  was served on a bed of curried cabbage. Just an awful overpowering taste of turmeric. My partners steak was fatty and tough. The salt baked carrots and beetroot’s were so salty as to be inedible.

Deserts were terrible.

website Booking didn’t work. I rang and the owner manager tried to explain what was wrong with the system, what they were doing about it, at length. I just wanted to book.

Finally, having raised concerns, politely, the man in charge blamed the waitress saying she needed more training, the irony of the fact that he had failed to train her and let her loose on the public without training seemingly escaping him.

Will I go back?

No.

I would thoroughly recommend Seven Kingdoms. The chef that used to be at Samphire is now running the kitchen there. Had two meals there over the last month and both excellent.

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

I would thoroughly recommend Seven Kingdoms. The chef that used to be at Samphire is now running the kitchen there. Had two meals there over the last month and both excellent.

Where's that?

7 hours ago, Lxxx said:
2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

+1. Excellent place. Vies with Enzo’s as number 1 eatery in Douglas.

Lxxx its the mezzanine above the bar in the artisanal gin distillery called a Seven Kingdoms located in  the old tyre garage behind The Railway pub on Banks Circus

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

Oh the gin bar! I knew I'd heard the name but didn't think they did food other than typical bar snacks.

They have an excellent menu on offer. You should give it a go

Archived