Samphire gone forever ?

Neil Down

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

It's time I posted another restaurant review. This topic has gone very quiet since February... are you all on a diet?

Mrs WB and I have tried Samphire a number of times (no extra peas for us :) ).

Overall, we like it a lot. My only general criticism would be that when it's full, it is almost impossible to hear anyone speaking, even sitting next to you. It seems popular with people who could get spare time jobs as fog horns. It's a bit like the old Bar George, all live walls and floors, with close packed tables. Plus the seats are not the most comfortable for a long evening meal, they seem to be dished in the middle. They are the ones the previous occupant (Hungarian, I think) left behind. Anyway, back to the menu...

I ordered the rare seared tuna spring roll to begin. It was very good, tuna spot on in a good wrapping, just crispy to the right degree. A very skilfully composed plate. Mrs WB went for the goat's cheese soufflé. It looked mouth wateringly appealing, just the sort of thing that get's you saying 'Let's swop plates dear' except that I had not finished my tuna!

For main course I had planned to try the slow cooked confit of duck (particularly after Essex Girl's now sadly lost critique. However, Mrs WB announced her intention to have that, so I plumped for the rack of Manx lamb. Both looked fine on arrival, but I scrounged a peck of the duck. Excellent... made a note to stick to the plan next time. Mrs WB greatly enjoyed it... that's always a challenge!

My lamb was requested 'medium rare' by which I hope to receive a pink, yet cooked piece of meat. This, for me, was rather on the well done side. However, charmed by the herb and garlic mash and the overall flavour of the dish, I did not hesitate to tell the ever attentive staff that all was fine.

Which it was. To be honest, I can't recall if or what we had for puds. The red wine was flowing, our friends at table seemed content, not that I could hear them! Try Samphire, it deserves to stay in business. But leave out the extra 'P'.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard this place is now booked solid for a month! We tried for a table last Thursday and were unsuccessful. Went there for a limited menu party a couple of weeks ago and I must say it was excellent. Hopefully will get in at some point in the near future. Wish them every success.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived