Child Obesity

Neil Down

Not much chance whilst fast food outlets are here. As an aid, I see Burger King will be opening up in The Strand in the very near future

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=38739&headline=Do more to fight obesity in children&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2018

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good subject Neil. Is it the amount of food outlets or lack of self-control and parental responsibility which causes obesity in kids? It's not as if people are force-fed. Unfortunately, obese parents usually means obese kids. Bad habits die hard. 

1 hour ago, woody2 said:

three 15 minute fast walks a day while at school should sort the fatties out, take a leaf out of trumps book- give the teachers paintball guns to take the slowest out....

The Department of Education and Children has rolled out a 'Walk a Mile' thing for schools. It's been in place for quite some time now. My kids all do it at their school....whether they like it or not! Personally, I think it's a great idea even though none of my children are obese in the slight and get plenty of exercise.

21 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

The Department of Education and Children has rolled out a 'Walk a Mile' thing for schools. It's been in place for quite some time now. My kids all do it at their school....whether they like it or not! Personally, I think it's a great idea even though none of my children are obese in the slight and get plenty of exercise.

sadly its not all schools yet and its only 15 minutes.....

I’m all for encouraging exercise, as it has many proven benefits. But, obesity is almost all about diet. Walking a mile burns about 100 calories in the average adult, so less in a child. A small chocolate biscuit provides the same. 

You cannot out-train a bad diet. 

45 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I always walked to school, as did my classmates. There were very few chubby kids around then, most were just well built rather than fat anyway. 

Unfortunately I then found beer which did my figure no good whatsoever.

When I was at high school in the late 60s, there was roughly one fat kid per class. They stood out a mile, god love them.

Now the slim / skinny kid sticks out and concerns are raised about their eating habits WTF :o  

17 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

When I was at high school in the late 60s, there was roughly one fat kid per class. They stood out a mile, god love them.

Now the slim / skinny kid sticks out and concerns are raised about their eating habits WTF :o  

and 50 years later you've still not got over been the fat kid.....

Archived