World's 100 highest paid athletes

Mr. Sausages

Serena Williams used to be on the list.  My granny used to say "who wants to watch a bunch of women?  They can't beat the men".  She was a true feminist.

Anyway, these men are genetic freaks, plus they must all work really hard.  Much harder than me.  There's clearly a big market so good luck to them.  Comparing them to office or factory workers is daft.  Comparing them to top sportsmen of previous generations is more interesting. 

16 hours ago, dilligaf said:

That is just sick.

Some people work their arse off for about £8 per hour and this bunch of nobodies earn millions.

Sick is being kind.

These people are playing a sport. so fucking what ?

Nobody tends to complain about film stars or rock stars earning millions, and top sports people are in the same sort of category - millions are prepared to pay to see a film, a top rock band, and similarly, a top football player brings in the crowds.

It may seem wrong, particularly when comparisons are made with sports people 50 years ago or whatever (mainly amateur, or were paid peanuts and had 'proper' jobs as well) but it's the way it is.  As for the men/women thing in sports, it's society's choice, rather than inherent sexism in sport I think.  If the masses were prepared to pay as much to see women play football as men, then you might have a female Lionel Messi equivalent on the list.  But they're not, so there isn't.

If a top footballer was on minimum wage, the club would still earn the same money, fans would be charged the same but the profits would go to an oligarch or a sheikh.  

Better to go to some kid from an ordinary neighbourhood who worked hard and whose skills generate the profit. 

Archived