Island at War

craggy_steve

6 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

It's not a celebration of Guy Fawkes, it's a celebration of him...being hanged, having his genitals cut off and burnt before his eyes (that was the plan but he died before that bit), and his bowels and heart removed. 

It was a real bummer in those days if the Britain’s Got Talent judges didn’t rate you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Howard said:

That's a good point but we did have the mass incarceration of thousands of refugees, the overwhelming majority of whom were innocent German Jews who had fled from the Third Reich. The whole thing was massive breach of habeas corpus (paging John Wright) much like the mass incarceration of the Japanese in the United States. What happened and how this was allowed to happen will become increasingly relevant in the 21st century as we face the challenges of global terrorism from certain quarters of society resident in the United Kingdom and other parts of the western world but who utterly despise their host countries and wish them harm.

It wasn’t a breach of habeus corpus; it was entirely legal under the provisions of the Defence of the Realm Act. Whether it was moral, balanced against the need for national security is a different question. In any event, considerable numbers of the original internees were returned to their homes within a matter of weeks.

9 hours ago, Uhtred said:

It wasn’t a breach of habeus corpus; it was entirely legal under the provisions of the Defence of the Realm Act. Whether it was moral, balanced against the need for national security is a different question. In any event, considerable numbers of the original internees were returned to their homes within a matter of weeks.

Oy vey, stop with the facts already... you are ruining his rant

10 hours ago, Howard said:

No, they were actually rounded up and arrested under a "collar the lot" policy before being sent here by the Prime Minister, Mr Churchill.

Internment started early in 1940, Churchill wasn't Prime Minister then. He took over in May 1940

On 8/20/2018 at 4:20 PM, Neil Down said:

To my mind, they are celebrating how civilians coped during the war.

I attended the event and would certainly agree.  Life on the Island during WWII was different from that experienced in the occupied countries and even that experienced in the UK.

On 8/20/2018 at 5:25 PM, GD4ELI said:

Why all the uniforms then? The Island didn't have it as bad as Liverpool etc.

There were many Uniforms on the Isle of Man during WWII.  There were the internment camps but there were also RAF units being trained here along with the Royal Navy (I forget the name of the camp on Douglas Head).

If I had one suggestion for improving the "Island at War" event it would have been to set Port Erin out as an internment camp (at least stick some barriers up) along with the history of internment on the Island but I appreciate that this would go beyond the remit of the Railways. 

24 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I attended the event and would certainly agree.  Life on the Island during WWII was different from that experienced in the occupied countries and even that experienced in the UK.

There were many Uniforms on the Isle of Man during WWII.  There were the internment camps but there were also RAF units being trained here along with the Royal Navy (I forget the name of the camp on Douglas Head).

If I had one suggestion for improving the "Island at War" event it would have been to set Port Erin out as an internment camp (at least stick some barriers up) along with the history of internment on the Island but I appreciate that this would go beyond the remit of the Railways. 

There was an internment camp in Port Erin, up from the prom somewhere i think ?

17 hours ago, Uhtred said:

It wasn’t a breach of habeus corpus; it was entirely legal under the provisions of the Defence of the Realm Act. 

Yes, it was a breach of habeas corupus. Just like the US Patriot Act. You do realise an Act by a legislature can breach habeas corpus?

7 hours ago, kevster said:

Internment started early in 1940, Churchill wasn't Prime Minister then. He took over in May 1940

Not too bright, are you?

8 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Oy vey, stop with the facts already... you are ruining his rant

"Facts" that happen to be wrong.

1 hour ago, Howard said:

Yes, it was a breach of habeas corupus. Just like the US Patriot Act. You do realise an Act by a legislature can breach habeas corpus?

Yes indeed I do know that. Had a writ of habeus corpus been sought in this case, it would have been found wanting, as the law allowed for internment,  so my earlier comment was correct. Of course, something else I know is that Defence Regulation 18B, under which individuals believed to be hard-core Nazi sympathisers were interned (Moseley et al) expressly suspended habeus corpus. You may apologise if you wish.

6 hours ago, LightBulb said:

There was an internment camp in Port Erin, up from the prom somewhere i think ?

Do you mean during the war or during the Island at War event?  If the latter I did not go far from the Station although noticed Mantons had put tape on their windows. 

I was aware of the internment camp that was in Port Erin during the war.

4 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Yes indeed I do know that. Had a writ of habeus corpus been sought in this case, it would have been found wanting, as the law allowed for internment,  so my earlier comment was correct. Of course, something else I know is that Defence Regulation 18B, under which individuals believed to be hard-core Nazi sympathisers were interned (Moseley et al) expressly suspended habeus corpus. You may apologise if you wish.

No, you're just repeating the same erroneous claim. The fact remains that habeas corpus was violated.

18 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Do you mean during the war or during the Island at War event?  If the latter I did not go far from the Station although noticed Mantons had put tape on their windows. 

I was aware of the internment camp that was in Port Erin during the war.

There was a collectors fair at the church opposite the Post Office. But the Prom didn't have anything specifically war themed going on. A part from the two permanent bombsites of course.

Archived