£18,000 ?

doc.fixit

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Kopek said:

Is this a way of firing someone without saying ''you are firing someone''?

It's more a matter of making it look like you're doing something when you actually aren't.  I've a feeling that Longworth had been due for retirement for a while and normally a civil servant retiring at standard age wouldn't be announced so prominently.  Of course, rather than letting him go, they've moved him sideways into a 'special projects' role, so he can continue to swan around and spend on new toys, all at taxpayers expense.

33 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's more a matter of making it look like you're doing something when you actually aren't.  I've a feeling that Longworth had been due for retirement for a while and normally a civil servant retiring at standard age wouldn't be announced so prominently.  Of course, rather than letting him go, they've moved him sideways into a 'special projects' role, so he can continue to swan around and spend on new toys, all at taxpayers expense.

Love him or hate him, Ian Longworth made a very positive impact on our bus and railways services.

The dining cars, breakfast services and many, many more have been added to enhance the service.

The busses now actually have routes that serve the public and not the drivers and now with the extended hours carry the people that often the taxi trade won't, during the festive season etc.

Seems I am the only one on here that has a good word for him.

People soon forget how crap the public transport was before he came here and look for any reason to knock him.

Does anyone remember a grinning MHK giving in to everything the unions wanted and how we ended up with drivers and cleaners earning more than Policemen, nurses and teachers ?

It will be interesting to see how things go, when he moves on.

9 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Agree, I heard that they’ve been thinking of how to get rid of him for a while. New guy is on a fixed term contract which suggests they’ve learned that offering a job for life is not the answer. Many are just hoping he doesn’t come back post retirement after taking a huge rake of cash from his pension and take over again. If that happens he will no doubt end up in special projects for the SPC where his cost is covered by SPC customers not the taxpayer directly. So it’s a taxpayer “saving” really. 

5 hours ago, woody2 said:
7 hours ago, Neil Down said:

In Wales?

nah-thats just an example of how bad the new roads signs will turn out when they add manx to all the road signs.......

Be better if they added the English to our local Manx signs 

Totally off topic but many years ago I got talking to someone who was doing a similar job to me at the time but in Wales. This job resulted in the printing of a full colour public document of around 400 to 500 pages with several associated maps. The guy from Wales explained that they had print theirs also in Welsh and that the costs were huge to do so. I recall him saying that they were legally required to print the same number as the English language ones. This meant that they also had a storage problem as whilst the English versions would generally all be bought the Welsh ones tended to sell about one copy. The sheer size of the documents meant that combined the two languages in one document wasn’t really viable.

Notably all ability to comment has been removed and IOM Newspapers have chosen to add a lump to the bottom of what was clearly a very scripted press release detailing all the failures and excessive spend.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=44999&headline=End%20of%20an%20era%20for%20director%20of%20transport&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

So he’s free to stay as on long as he wants apparently. They really are going to have to chisel off his fingers to loosen his grip on the last carriage of the gravy train! 

Archived