£18,000 ?

doc.fixit

.......Whaaaat?............DoI fined £18000 for health and safety breaches and none of it is related to the brake system failure on the mountain tram!.........sooo, we, the people pay the fines for the department's or the individual's incompetence and we still don't know who messed up over the brake failures............now, after much pressure, the Doi is being forced to fit fail safe brakes, a measure that all of us engineers on here suggested should have been the norm. anyway..........the whole, shameful debacle is embarrassing and unbelievable............

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

.......Whaaaat?............DoI fined £18000 for health and safety breaches and none of it is related to the brake system failure on the mountain tram!.........sooo, we, the people pay the fines for the department's or the individual's incompetence and we still don't know who messed up over the brake failures............now, after much pressure, the Doi is being forced to fit fail safe brakes, a measure that all of us engineers on here suggested should have been the norm. anyway..........the whole, shameful debacle is embarrassing and unbelievable............

Utterly pointless unless an individual had to pay it,  but the good old taxpayers get shafted once more.

It's only what we've come to expect though. 

35 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It's only a transfer from one government department to another. It will only affect the DoT's budget which they'll probably over run anyway. A paper excercise to rap someone's knuckles is all it is!

Do you really think that the knuckles will be meaningfully rapped...?

Sec 37 of the H&S at work Act states;-

"Where an offence under any of the  relevant statutory provisions committed by a body corporate is proved to have been committed with the consent or connivance of ,or to have been attributable toady neglect on the part of any director, manager, secretary or other similar officer of the body corporate or a person who was purporting to act in any such capacity, he as well as the body corporate shall be guilty of that offence and shall be liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly"

Section 1 places an obligation on employers to secure the health and safety of persons at work and protecting others against risks to health and safety arising out for in connection with the activities persons at work.

Connivance come from the latin Connevere (SP?) = to wink.

Under Sec 2 of the Act  states that :-

It shall be the duty of every employer to maintain as far as is reasonably practicable to maintain safe systems of work.

Given that the general rule is that there should be "fail safe systems" employed where practicable, and it is common practice to install such a system the  I would venture to suggest that the management are either negligent or incompetent beyond belief.

I was, many years ago, an Enforcing H&S Inspector and given the scenario of what allegedly occurred I would have been minded to prosecute individuals as well as the body corporate . Just saying 

1 hour ago, paswt said:

"Where an offence under any of the  relevant statutory provisions committed by a body corporate is proved to have been committed with the consent or connivance of ,or to have been attributable toady neglect on the part of any director, manager, secretary or other similar officer of the body corporate or a person who was purporting to act in any such capacity, he as well as the body corporate shall be guilty of that offence and shall be liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly"

Section 1 places an obligation on employers to secure the health and safety of persons at work and protecting others against risks to health and safety arising out for in connection with the activities persons at work.

It shall be the duty of every employer to maintain as far as is reasonably practicable to maintain safe systems of work.

Given that the general rule is that there should be "fail safe systems" employed where practicable, and it is common practice to install such a system the  I would venture to suggest that the management are either negligent or incompetent beyond belief.

I was, many years ago, an Enforcing H&S Inspector and given the scenario of what allegedly occurred I would have been minded to prosecute individuals as well as the body corporate . Just saying 

he's already been done in the uk, unable to work in that role again......

then iomg take him on.......

1 hour ago, paswt said:

if only, if only

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Do you really think that the knuckles will be meaningfully rapped...?

Those knuckles are by now numb and impervious to any amount of vigorous rapping after years of being dragged along the ground. 

Archived