Newel post for bottom of stairs

grounddweller

I'm hoping someone can help with a problem I've encountered while renovating my house. The previous owner of my place had sawn off the newel post at the bottom of the stairs and I need to sort out a replacement to match one which is still in place half way up the stairs. I've been to some local places (B&Q, Qualtrough, Mac's, Haldane Fisher) but apart from being too plain in style (my place is an old 1880's house), the new posts are also too slim - most being only 90mm in diameter whereas my existing one, which I'm trying to match, is 100mm in diameter. I imagine newel posts get removed from houses sometimes during renovation/demolition - it's just knowing the right people to speak to to track one down. Maybe someone knows of someone who could work from a photo of existing newel post (with measurements) and produce a copy on a lathe?

Hope somebody can help me out.

Many thanks.

I think there is a salvage outfit in the old drill hall by the Brown Bobby.  Try them.  There are lots of salvage yards in the UK.  It might be cheapest to find one there and ship it over.  Sadly, most similar items are simply treated as rubbish here.  Try the timber section at the scrap yards.  Good luck.

23 hours ago, dilligaf said:

There is a place in Laxey called something like Country Workshop or similar. If they cant make it , nobody can.

Thanks very much Dilli - The Village Workshop - hadn’t come across them before, but judging by the the pics on their website it should be a doddle for them.

6 hours ago, war baby said:

I think there is a salvage outfit in the old drill hall by the Brown Bobby.  Try them.  There are lots of salvage yards in the UK.  It might be cheapest to find one there and ship it over.  Sadly, most similar items are simply treated as rubbish here.  Try the timber section at the scrap yards.  Good luck.

And thank you war baby. Unfortunately the place by the Brown Bobby has closed and re-opened as a stove centre (I did luck out on some old floorboards there while it was a salvage place though, and they’ve sanded up a treat). Can’t get hold of that place and I think he moved across to serve a bigger market and source more stock. Would like to get this sorted locally if poss but agree that UK salvage yards would be a good try if I can persuade them to get it here for a reasonable delivery charge. First time on this forum and I’n very impressed by variety and usefulness of answers to my request for help and info.

13 hours ago, grounddweller said:

Thanks very much Dilli - The Village Workshop - hadn’t come across them before, but judging by the the pics on their website it should be a doddle for them.

No joy with The Village Workshop - everything seems to have moved to a more modern look for them and the UK company they used for any turning work has gone out of business.

Archived