Electric bicycle drink driving

What's the story with electric bicycles and drink driving laws? A friend is looking to get one on the cheap from his brother in law. Said friend wants to use it for an 8 mile round trip to the pub, to save him on taxi fares getting home. If you are caught, say, drunk in charge of one of these things can you lose your car license over it? 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

What's the story with electric bicycles and drink driving laws? A friend is looking to get one on the cheap from his brother in law. Said friend wants to use it for an 8 mile round trip to the pub, to save him on taxi fares getting home. If you are caught, say, drunk in charge of one of these things can you lose your car license over it? 

No.

follow link.

https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media-centre/blog/2017/04/is-it-illegal-to-ride-a-bicycle-when-drunk/

Law here is more or less same. Richard says it much more eloquently than I.

Thanks John. Was thinking more specifically for an electrically powered bicycle though. Does the fact its powered change the laws view on it? he can get this old bike for about 800 quid, which seems reasonable enough when you take into account the price of a new one. I did tell him to just get a normal push bike but he's getting on a bit, reckons the journey there would be ok but he's not overconfident on making it back under his own steam. Plus I think he may be lycraphobic.

6 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Thanks John. Was thinking more specifically for an electrically powered bicycle though. Does the fact its powered change the laws view on it? he can get this old bike for about 800 quid, which seems reasonable enough when you take into account the price of a new one. I did tell him to just get a normal push bike but he's getting on a bit, reckons the journey there would be ok but he's not overconfident on making it back under his own steam. Plus I think he may be lycraphobic.

Electric bike is no different to a pushbike as long as it meets the regulations for not requiring a driving licence to ride it. Same as my power wheelchair really. It’s class 3. Up to 8mph on the road. No registration, road tax, or insurance required!!!

Just now, the stinking enigma said:

Thanks very much John. Will let him know. Out of interest, what sort of range are you getting on the wheelchair? He reckons this bike will do 30 miles on 1 charge, though I don't think he's intent on helping it out much by pedalling.

15-20km, on the level. Less on slopes. Range extended by slow speed and occasional stops. 4 hours continuous use.

5 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Said friend is pretty irresponsible then

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

Electric bike is no different to a pushbike as long as it meets the regulations for not requiring a driving licence to ride it. Same as my power wheelchair really. It’s class 3. Up to 8mph on the road. No registration, road tax, or insurance required!!!

I don’t wish to take this off on a fruitless tangent but do I not recall that some years ago a woman in England was prosecuted for riding a horse on the public highway whilst she was intoxicated? Would that thus  be an offence in some other arena than highway law, because of course you don’t need a driving licence to ride a horse.

2 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

You seem to be engaging in carpet trolling recently. He rarely has more than 3 or 4 pints.

You live four miles from the pub....?

PPPPPP.

As John says if you don't need a driving licence to use it then you can't lose your driving licence if you abuse it. So NIL Points.

However you can be prosecuted in the UK for being pissed trying to ride a bike thus:

If you have had a drink, then there is a good chance that you will be committing a criminal offence by riding your bike. ... The maximum penalty for cycling under the influence of drink or drugs is a £1,000 fine, and this is also the case for the offence of careless or inconsiderate cycling.

11 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

You seem to be engaging in carpet trolling recently. He rarely has more than 3 or 4 pints.

Nope, pointing out the facts that you clearly missed... :thumbsup:

Archived