Electric bicycle drink driving

19 hours ago, John Wright said:

Electric bike is no different to a pushbike as long as it meets the regulations for not requiring a driving licence to ride it. Same as my power wheelchair really. It’s class 3. Up to 8mph on the road. No registration, road tax, or insurance required!!!

Not wanting to take on a lawyer at all, but an electric cycles max speed, legally, is 14mph.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, rodders said:

Not wanting to take on a lawyer at all, but an electric cycles max speed, legally, is 14mph.

good job because you'd lose.

The electric motor won't assist you when you're travelling more than 25 km/h (15.5mph); but without the motor you can go as fast as you legally can

51 minutes ago, Neil Down said:
40 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I was talking about the wheelchair

good job because you'd lose.

The electric motor won't assist you when you're travelling more than 25 km/h (15.5mph); but without the motor you can go as fast as you legally can

Thanks. I'm glad to be corrected.

There is a difference between an electric bike and an electrically assisted bike. 

The first you don't need to pedal and you have suggested this is the intention. I don't think you are actually legally allowed to ride an electric bicycle on the road unless it is taxed, insured etc etc.  There is a weird point in UK road laws about this and it covers things like Segways etc - you're not allowed them on the pavement and you're not allowed them on the road.  So only for use on private land. 

The second is what you commonly see around and referred as an 'electric bike', but you actually have to pedal.  The motor assists this pedaling (but only up to 15mph).  So he would have to pedal home.  Albeit very lightly and with the engine assisting. 

16 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

We must remember that there is nothing wrong with drink walking, it was drink driving that kills people, drink cycling is fine.

I suppose it depends on whether you can actually walk without bumping into peopleand becoming a public  nuisance :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LightBulb said:

John, how will driver-less cars change the issue of drink driving, if the car has no input from the driver , if you are a just a "passenger" will you be able to have a drink and travel ?

Is that even a question???

Archived