National Insurance Number

wrighty

It’s certainly become more interesting since the pension systems got separated.

My sister has gone to work in U.K. to be near her daughter and my about to be born niece or nephew.

She is one of the age 66 retirees. She’s done enough contributing years here to qualify for the full new manx state pension. With bought years she’ll get 10+ years in to qualify for a decent U.K. pension also. Better than working here and contributing for no extra benefit.

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

When I worked in the UK (some 10 years ago now) I was given a UK N.I number, was actually straight forward, I think this was helped by the fact I didn't complete a full tax year here so when it came to income tax time I got a refund.

The hostile regime on immigration has changed that, EoI and Entitlement to Work Interview (EU/EEA). It actually drives some genuine immigrants into black market working.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

It’s certainly become more interesting since the pension systems got separated.

My sister has gone to work in U.K. to be near her daughter and my about to be born niece or nephew.

She is one of the age 66 retirees. She’s done enough contributing years here to qualify for the full new manx state pension. With bought years she’ll get 10+ years in to qualify for a decent U.K. pension also. Better than working here and contributing for no extra benefit.

This is something I've been pondering a lot lately, if I started work at 15 and stop at 55 will I get any less of a pension than if I keep paying Ni until I'm 67?

All assuming there's anything left in the pot by then!

43 minutes ago, finlo said:

This is something I've been pondering a lot lately, if I started work at 15 and stop at 55 will I get any less of a pension than if I keep paying Ni until I'm 67?

All assuming there's anything left in the pot by then!

40 years gets your max. You can contact Treasury and they send a form you can fill out and then they send a forecast, showing how many qualifying years contributions  you have, projected pension, etc.

Archived