National Insurance Number

wrighty

If you have an NI number issued on the IOM at 16 and then move to the UK, do you need to get a new one?

I know from moving in the other direction you keep the same one, but my eldest has just been told she has to apply for a new one in the UK as they don’t recognise the one she was given here. 

You didn’t use to. 

my cousin moved over 5 years ago and there was a difficulty with the system recognising his Manx number. It’s a digit short or something.

Theres a work around. I forget what it is. I’ll find out and get back to you.

Certainly the latest HMRC notice ( 09/07/2019 ) says you can.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/national-insurance-manual/nim39620

15 minutes ago, wrighty said:

If you have an NI number issued on the IOM at 16 and then move to the UK, do you need to get a new one?

I know from moving in the other direction you keep the same one, but my eldest has just been told she has to apply for a new one in the UK as they don’t recognise the one she was given here. 

No. I have a NI number issued in 1973 when I was 16. (It was the same system until wise old Eddie made his changes.)

5 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

No. I have a NI number issued in 1973 when I was 16. (It was the same system until wise old Eddie made his changes.)

But the procedure to get it recognised on the system is now a multi step process and unless you get on the CIS system, which involves a right to work interview, the other systems don’t recognise your number anymore.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

But the procedure to get it recognised on the system is now a multi step process and unless you get on the CIS system, which involves a right to work interview, the other systems don’t recognise your number anymore.

Shame. Mine was issued on the Island in '73, I just used it in the UK when I started work post-uni and it all sort of happened auto-magically.

2 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Shame. Mine was issued on the Island in '73, I just used it in the UK when I started work post-uni and it all sort of happened auto-magically.

Read this internal staff guidance note.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/576744/nino-staff-guide-isle-of-man.pdf

Does this mean Manx people can't easily apply for jobs in the UK anymore? We have to go through a bureaucratic process of applying for a new NI number first? Or would the Manx NI number be sufficient for starting a job, and then you could apply for a UK NI number? Or would there be a catch 22 where you first need to be resident in the UK to get a new NI number, but are not allowed to work for an employer until you've got a UK NI number?

6 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Does this mean Manx people can't easily apply for jobs in the UK anymore? We have to go through a bureaucratic process of applying for a new NI number first? Or would the Manx NI number be sufficient for starting a job, and then you could apply for a UK NI number? Or would there be a catch 22 where you first need to be resident in the UK to get a new NI number, but are not allowed to work for an employer until you've got a UK NI number?

No. You don’t have to get a new NiNo. If you want to claim benefits you have to go to an EoI interview.

You keep your Manx NiNo.

24 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No. You don’t have to get a new NiNo. If you want to claim benefits you have to go to an EoI interview.

You keep your Manx NiNo.

That's good. I am considering moving to UK. The cost of living on this island is just not worth it.

I am now too long in the tooth to uproot myself and go back to England.  However, very sadly, I have had to advise one of my kids not to move here from UK.  I always used to tell them what a great place it is and suggest they come back, but no longer.  I even heard today that the air quality has now dropped below EU standards where I live!  It's hugely expensive and badly served.  it can take half an hour to drive the short distance to town.  Twice that during the cycle infestations.  And they want to build hundreds of new houses around me!  On the last little bit of grass! 

Then... What on earth happens to us post Brexit nobody knows, including the Great Leader.

15 hours ago, wrighty said:

Family member with a Manx issued NI number worked here for around 8 years, moved to London 2 years ago. Is in employment and still using IOM NI number. I doubt the veracity of what your daughter has been told.

6 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Family member with a Manx issued NI number worked here for around 8 years, moved to London 2 years ago. Is in employment and still using IOM NI number. I doubt the veracity of what your daughter has been told.

For some reason the U.K. systems seem able to identify and accept Manx NiNos to allow payments in but when you want to make a claim, for instance, you have to go for an interview to establish identity ( EoI ) and be registered on the CIS system manually.

Archived