Gansey Cycle lane? The bike is back!

Keshvane

On 11/15/2019 at 5:32 PM, display name said:

Hmm,a feeble attempt at Manx. Could you translate that into English?

Or you could pull to the left and then cross when all is clear. Unless of course you want to risk your wife and kids out of sheer bloody mindedness then carry on blaming it on anyone but yourself.

I  checked this again at the weekend. There is no footpath on the lhs where you have to cross over. Therefore pulling over to the footpath and then crossing is not an option.There is a wall to be crushed against but that's all. Further to that it's not 50mph but actually unrestricted so the wife and kids could be well and truly mincemeat. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/13/2019 at 7:13 PM, Happier diner said:

I cycled it this morning. It was ok for me but would be too dangerous for families. Heading into 50mph traffic and no barrier......me thinks a risk assessment is required. Maybe there are improvements to come which would make it a good facility.

You ride a child's toy on the public highway when people are trying to get to work  

That's all we needed to know. 

33 minutes ago, MrPB said:

That’s what cyclists seem to want anyway. I was driving for the early morning flight the other day and passed some total bell end on a push bike at 6:00am cycling down the icy road past Santon Post Office. With one crappy LED light and a sad reflective sash with cars rushing past at 50mph in the pitch black and rain. Some of them clearly have a death wish. Or are just so stupid that they don’t care. 

To be fair if cars are driving that section of road, where there has recently been some bad crashes including a fatality "at 50mph in the pitch black and rain", then I'd say the cyclist wasn't the only one with a death wish.

(It's also worth saying that some people cycle because they can't afford any other form of transport - maybe they were trying to get to some early-starting minimum wage job).

21 minutes ago, MrPB said:

One day that particular bloke probably isn’t going to get there. It’s just completely irresponsible to put yourself in that position. 

Sadly I think there's no place for pushbikes on today's roads and I say that as a cyclist myself.

10 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Spot on, they expect everyone else to fit around them. There is no place on the Island's road for expensive children's toys. 

What a load of shortsighted xxxxxxxks some people talk. Why not ban pedestrians and horses too as they can get in the way. Roads are here to share.

16 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What a load of shortsighted xxxxxxxks some people talk. Why not ban pedestrians and horses too as they can get in the way. Roads are here to share.

That's hilarious, ban pedestrians! 

Horses? They're fine, not many people are stupid enough to try and ride a horse to work, maybe when you've processed that it could be a teachable moment for you? 

22 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I  checked this again at the weekend. There is no footpath on the lhs where you have to cross over. Therefore pulling over to the footpath and then crossing is not an option.There is a wall to be crushed against but that's all. Further to that it's not 50mph but actually unrestricted so the wife and kids could be well and truly mincemeat. 

With luck,they'll miss your wife and kids

Meanwhile Mr Speaker has been attempting to find out how much all this cost:

The Hon. Member for Rushen (Mr Speaker) to ask the Minister for Infrastructure –

What the total cost to government of the works to the A5 Shore Road, Rushen including the pavement and cycle path was?

The total cost for the works on A5 Shore Road for the reconstruction, resurfacing, cycleway/footpath improvements and kerbing including all associated signing, lining and cats eyes was £861,000.

They don't come cheap those cats.

Archived