Gansey Cycle lane? The bike is back!

Keshvane

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

As a keen cyclist and cycling commuter I am keen to encourage efforts to improve safety. I'll give this a try but looking at it il worried about what would happen if something was coming the other way. It just looks too narrow to be safe. Also, how do you safely get onto it when travelling towards castletown.  Its not quite the heritage trail 'someones going to die' aboration that is the entrance opposite the quarter bridge but it's not great to have no safe crossing/entrances to cycle paths. 

To be honest your questions are a bit daft - 

Something coming the other way - Slow down, pass each other with caution, stop and dismount if needed. 

How do you get on or off it if travelling to Castletown - Dismount. Look, left and right and wheel the bike across when safe to do so. 

Otherwise use the road. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

/off-topic a touch

It's a good thing this thread isn't on Facebook. There's a guy who seemingly spends his online presence scouring the internets for any mis-use of the use of the placename 'Gansey'.

Apparently it is Ban-ny-Carrickey or at a push Brewery Beach. Gansey is supposedly a bay a little further round the point towards Port St Mary.

I have always called it Gansey beach btw and always will. From The Shore right round to the Gansey Pottery. (And Bay-ny-Carrickey would be the whole shebang right round to Scarlett point.)

On 11/13/2019 at 2:40 PM, Declan said:

To be honest your questions are a bit daft - 

Something coming the other way - Slow down, pass each other with caution, stop and dismount if needed. 

How do you get on or off it if travelling to Castletown - Dismount. Look, left and right and wheel the bike across when safe to do so. 

Otherwise use the road. 

What and you get tell 6 years olds this but of wisdom?

21 hours ago, display name said:

Check out the Green Cross Code on youtube,you might learn the skills of a mentally developed adult.

So waiting in the middle of the road with two kids and the wife whilst vehicles pass either side, in both directions, at 50mph is a good bit of design? As I said, risk assessment needed. I was stuck in the middle of the road for a good few minutes until a kind lady stopped and let me cross. Have you a totally cycled on this pathway?

35 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Have you a totally cycled on this pathway?

Hmm,a feeble attempt at Manx. Could you translate that into English?

37 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

So waiting in the middle of the road with two kids and the wife whilst vehicles pass either side, in both directions, at 50mph is a good bit of design?

Or you could pull to the left and then cross when all is clear. Unless of course you want to risk your wife and kids out of sheer bloody mindedness then carry on blaming it on anyone but yourself.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

So waiting in the middle of the road with two kids and the wife whilst vehicles pass either side, in both directions, at 50mph is a good bit of design? As I said, risk assessment needed. I was stuck in the middle of the road for a good few minutes until a kind lady stopped and let me cross. Have you a totally cycled on this pathway?

You sound like a complete liability on the roads. Your wife and kids should go out without you and leave you to carry on boozing, judging by your grammar.

Archived