Front page news on today’s rag

hissingsid

53 teachers off with stress apparently,  now whether this is just the usual attention seeking garbage as it could have been over a long period I do not know as the article then progressed to page whatever inside and I will not buy these rags on principle, so if anyone has the full story pray do tell.   The reason I am asking is if it is current, which I doubt,   it would influence the unions voting figures unless of course the teachers were not stressed enough to attend the meetings and vote.  

It's based on a Written Question from Barber for Tuesday's Keys:

How many teachers, broken down by pay grade, have accessed: (a) occupational health; (b) staff support services; or (c) been off sick with stress/anxiety over the last 12 months?

The Minister for Education, Sport and Culture (Mr Cregeen): (a) Teachers can access Occupational Health via a referral from their manager or referring themselves, a self-referral. In the case of the former, some schools send their referrals direct to Occupational Health and some are sent via OHR. For those sent via OHR, there were 27 management referrals made for teachers in the last 12 months. Occupational Health would be able to confirm the number of  self-referrals and the total number of management referrals received.

(b) The Department of Education, Sport and Culture has for the last five years been delivering a physical activity programme to supplement and complement the existing well-being support for teachers. Initially delivered as a pilot scheme, a number of schools where staff absence was greatest were provided with access into physical activity programmes. The pilot scheme ran for  a period of three years and an assessment taken thereafter on the impact of staff absence in those schools.

Subsequently the programme has now been extended to all schools and staff across DESC and due to its success, two other Government Departments (DoI and DHA) have resourced a similar programme that will be managed by Manx Sport and Recreation. In relation to the number of teachers accessing Staff Welfare, this is not known by DESC as it is a confidential service.

(c) There have been 52 teachers recorded as being off sick with stress/anxiety over the last 12 months. This equates to 1.20 days per FTE for teachers were lost to stress, anxiety and depression, compared to 4.06 days per FTE across Government.

So teachers seem less prone to it than other government workers.  

You'll notice that they didn't answer the question properly (the figures aren't broken down by pay grade).

1 minute ago, manxman1980 said:

Breaking it down to pay grade may enable individuals to be identified therefore potentially releasing sensitive personal information. 

Oh quite, but then they should have said why they weren't supplying the information.  I presume Barber was trying to find out if there were extra stresses on heads and so on.  The usual way to avoid identification would be to pool data from several grades to get a large enough number so individuals wouldn't be identifiable but still give meaningful information.

According to an answer given to last month's Tynwald, there are 614 full time teachers and 181 teachers/lecturers on part-time contracts (a lot of these will be lecturers just doing a few hours).  So I'm not sure what that is in FTE terms, maybe about 650 or so.  That suggests around 800 days off or an average of around 16 days for each of those suffering.  In practice it will be a mixture of a small number on extended leave and others just taking the odd week when they can't cope.

Under-staffing leading to increased loading of work and responsibilities on the existing/remaining teachers perhaps? Discipline problems in schools contributing? Kids with knives?

17 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Stress seems to be quite an acceptable reason for absenteeism within the PS?

It comes with the job in certain professions, where you may well be dealing with trauma - especially the police and health and social services.  But I suspect a bigger reason will be the sort of bullying culture that can thrive in parts of the public services.  And of course it's not unknown for people to be encouraged to go off with 'stress' in situations where they might otherwise have to be suspended.

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Under-staffing leading to increased loading of work and responsibilities on the existing/remaining teachers perhaps? Discipline problems in schools contributing? Kids with knives?

Well except the figures for teachers look rather low - I suspect there's a lot of pressure not to 'let people down', especially for more than the shortest possible period.  In practise some teachers may push themselves too hard and then end up resigning, when they should perhaps take some time to recover from stress.

Archived