IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

8 hours ago, quilp said:

Have you used a LFD to rule out covid? Sputum sample. Could be bacterial? Phone your surgery, you'll probably have to explain your symptoms to a doc, obtain a sample container and the path lab paperwork, gob in it (not the paperwork) preferably early morning and get it up to the lab soon as.

Yes, should’ve mentioned, took a couple of LFD’s ( isn’t that what our genomics Dr calls them)? Anyhow, both negative. I’m actually 99% better now. Just couldn’t understand how hard it hit me. I normally shake colds off in a few days, as I suspect most folks do. 

Edited by cheesypeas

10 hours ago, momo65 said:

No. There is virtually no SHORT TERM risk to children without underlying health conditions. Nor do we know the effect of the virus on immature immune systems. From what we do know the vaccine appears to be safe whereas we can't say that for the virus

Of course you've already said those children with such underlying conditions are in effect expendable

Every point you have made about the virus can equally be made about the vaccine. None of us have the 'right' argument as none of us have the data yet. It's personal opinions.

In my opinion we should be cautious about vaccinating young children, it's a completely different argument re: vaccinating adults, have no issue with that. You believe the situation is serious enough to go ahead. We could carry on going round the houses but in essence that's the crix of the matter, until more time passes and we get more data in which to make a more informed decision.

Edited by Danoo

1 hour ago, Danoo said:

Every point you have made about the virus can equally be made about the vaccine. None of us have the 'right' argument as none of us have the data yet. It's personal opinions.

In my opinion we should be cautious about vaccinating young children, it's a completely different argument re: vaccinating adults, have no issue with that. You believe the situation is serious enough to go ahead. We could carry on going round the houses but in essence that's the crix of the matter, until more time passes and we get more data in which to make a more informed decision.

Could you name a vaccine in common use for adults that hasn't been suitable for children? 

18 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

That's a very new thing. Also, they need to be a bit more careful with that, what are they doing giving it to a kid on his first day back after a week off with a non-covid respiratory illness? Promptly knocked the shit out of him for another week off school. Bizarre behaviour.

Sorry to hear this happened to your child. I'm not surprised he was knocked sideways having had the vaccine on the heels of an illness as his immune system was probably still recovering. 

The nasal spray flu vaccine is a live vaccine and is contraindicated in people with compromised immune systems, including just getting over an illness. The school and/or Manx Care should have made this very clear and offered alternatives. 

My daughter refused the live vaccine for my GS at school and took him to the GP to get the flu shot instead. This is because her father is undergoing cancer treatment, and I'm also immuno-compromised.

Doctors advise against being around people who have had a live vaccine for 48-72 hours. We all have dinner together most nights and this is why she refused the live vaccine. (Her father and I divorced years ago but we're still close - in a brother and sister* kinda way.)

*We're not from Foxdale!

Edited by Zarley
Extra bit for clarity
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, momo65 said:

Could you name a vaccine in common use for adults that hasn't been suitable for children? 

They have all been through years of testing and evaluation using a similar approach as others that have been proven safe over time.

I'm not saying this won't be safe, I'm simply saying this a new vaccine using a relatively new approach and it would be prudent to use adults as a test case over a longer time period before making assessments and recommendations for use in children. Especially when considering the low risk in these age groups. 

8 minutes ago, Danoo said:

They have all been through years of testing and evaluation using a similar approach as others that have been proven safe over time.

I'm not saying this won't be safe, I'm simply saying this a new vaccine using a relatively new approach and it would be prudent to use adults as a test case over a longer time period before making assessments and recommendations for use in children. Especially when considering the low risk in these age groups. 

Should we not allow parents the choice since you feel that your hunch is as likely to be correct as the scientists? Are you aware that a lot of medications routinely given to children aren't actually licensed for children? It's routine practice. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, momo65 said:

Should we not allow parents the choice since you feel that your hunch is as likely to be correct as the scientists? Are you aware that a lot of medications routinely given to children aren't actually licensed for children? It's routine practice. 

I feel like I'm conversing with a pharmaceutical sales rep here. This conversation has taken a whole different turn to what it started out as. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, momo65 said:

To be fair, it's routine practice to allow respiratory viruses to spread through children.

The offer of a vaccine is there for kids over 12, I'm sure it will be there for younger ones too soon enough. Whether you consider it is necessary or not is up to you. I would like to see a bit more honesty in the debate, to help parents discuss it rationally before making their decision.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Danoo said:

I feel like I'm conversing with a pharmaceutical sales rep here. This conversation has taken a whole different turn to what it started out as. 

No it hasn't. It's still about mitigations in schools. I'm certainly no pharmaceutical rep

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

To be fair, it's routine practice to allow respiratory viruses to spread through children.

The offer of a vaccine is there for kids over 12, I'm sure it will be there for younger ones too soon enough. Whether you consider it is necessary or not is up to you. I would like to see a bit more honesty in the debate, to help parents discuss it rationally before making their decision.

Honesty is fine. Have a debate. Between professionals who know what they are talking about not random people who've done their own "research" (that isn't pointed at you or anyone in particular). Then let parents choose for their child. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, momo65 said:

Honesty is fine. Have a debate. Between professionals who know what they are talking about not random people who've done their own "research" (that isn't pointed at you or anyone in particular). Then let parents choose for their child. 

Some people who are supposed to be professionals aren't being honest though. 

• Like 1