Airport “forgot” to open?

Southfork

Has anyone heard anything more about the rumour circulating that an Aurigny flight due up this morning with a rugby team on board who were playing a game up here ended up stopping over for a few hours in Manchester as they literally forgot to open the airport this morning? It must be so hard remembering that one flight a day that you’re all paid to deal with. 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Southfork said:

Has anyone heard anything more about the rumour circulating that an Aurigny flight due up this morning with a rugby team on board who were playing a game up here ended up stopping over for a few hours in Manchester as they literally forgot to open the airport this morning? It must be so hard remembering that one flight a day that you’re all paid to deal with. 

I saw the flight radar thing, I didn't realise that this was the explanation?

Just now, Max Power said:

I saw the flight radar thing, I didn't realise that this was the explanation?

Apparently it is. Flight had to divert to MCR as they apparently forgot it was coming in and hadn’t opened the airport. But heard that second hand from a friend who was linked to the rugby match. Haven’t seen much elsewhere yet. But if true FFS what are all these people being paid to do? 

2 minutes ago, Southfork said:

Apparently it is. Flight had to divert to MCR as they apparently forgot it was coming in and hadn’t opened the airport. But heard that second hand from a friend who was linked to the rugby match. Haven’t seen much elsewhere yet. But if true FFS what are all these people being paid to do? 

Yes indeed! I guess air traffic control and the fire people will have been there but it does seem like inspiration for a comedy series, about a little island where nothing much happens :D 

25 minutes ago, Southfork said:

Twitter seems to be covering it 

2DEA146D-DB9E-421D-B2F6-9504BDC8F317.jpeg

4 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Twitter seems to be covering it 

2DEA146D-DB9E-421D-B2F6-9504BDC8F317.jpeg

I love the naivety of expecting an up to the minute response from any branch of Isle of Man Government by using social media.  Especially on a Sunday.  The IOM Airport twitter account hasn't  tweeted anything since 17 July (when it welcomed Rob Callister to the fold).  

26 minutes ago, asitis said:

Unless it was a special arrangement the airport does not open until 11.00 on Sundays.

That's in normal times when there was a full schedule operating.  Given that they are having to deal with so little work at the moment, you'd have though they could have managed a little flexibility.  In any case I don't think Aurigny would have turned up on spec - airlines don't operate like that.  No doubt it was agreed with someone in DoI who couldn't be bothered to tell anyone else.

Edited to add:  The tour was hardly secret and was covered in media on the Island, so there was no excuse for not knowing.  Amusing that IOM Newspapers suddenly gets an article up (all based on Twitter, because journalism) half an hour after it appears on MF - though over six hours after it happened.

19 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

When people go out to buy a paper they usually buy something else in the shop. No papers this does not happen. Time it was fixed.

All of the newspapers do online subscriptions.  Who the heck is still buying inky versions? They should put a massive environmental tax on that plane. It's completely unnecessary.

6 minutes ago, pongo said:

All of the newspapers do online subscriptions.  Who the heck is still buying inky versions? They should put a massive environmental tax on that plane. It's completely unnecessary.

Online subscription invariably works out cheaper. Mine does and can download it after 11pm for next day’s edition. 

Archived