Onchan spends thousands on legal fees battling own member

Apple

5 hours ago, Apple said:

So this costs about £8k of advocates expertise then. Are there no rules about what local authorities can spend ratepayers money on ?. I might consider standing if this is the case.

Oh there are, but cases would need to be legally decided and for some reason lawyers tend to think money spent on legal advice is never wasted.

Actually I suspect in this case the legal advice consisted of Callin Wild telling the Commissioners to stop being so silly over and over again until they listened.  Or at least went away.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I do thanks.

It's a valid observation.   If you've got fuck all decent to say about anyone doing a certain thing then d it yourself.

Unless you are confirming you are equally as useless?

Sigh, it's not really. It's akin to if you didn't vote you have no right to comment on politics or there's a boat in the morning etc. It a poor attempt to kill a conversation dead.

Here's my question to you pretend for a minute you are an Onchan resident: would you vote for anyone currently sitting as a commissioner in Onchan; and if so why?

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Perhaps you should stand if you think you can add some value?

Presumably the island would be well served if you chose to stand as well? With what appears to be your infinite knowledge of all subjects on the island and everybody elses apparent lack of it in your view, to include what sitting members of the government should be asking questions about, you could really hit the ground running.

With your clear lack of regard for those candidates who have announced that they wish to stand in what appears to be your constituency it would be an ideal opportunity to show the island exactly what you know and can do for the rest of its residents? As well as having your apparent wish to have a muppet in office fulfilled :thumbsup:

Screenshot_20210623-093438_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210623-093629_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Sigh, it's not really. It's akin to if you didn't vote you have no right to comment on politics or there's a boat in the morning etc. It a poor attempt to kill a conversation dead.

Here's my question to you pretend for a minute you are an Onchan resident: would you vote for anyone currently sitting as a commissioner in Onchan; and if so why?

Sigh indeed.  It's painful.

This isn't about voting or not.  The bottom line is if you're not happy with Onchan Commissioners and think you can do better then stand.  It's not that hard to get in as you'll likely be uncontested.  

I dont live in Onchan and I dont care about the Commissioners and who the present ones are.  

It may well be a springboard into the House of Keys and maybe that's not a bad thing.  At the end of the day people get to have a nose at what they are voting for (Rob Callister is an example I suppose?).

15 minutes ago, HNWI said:

Presumably the island would be well served if you chose to stand as well? With what appears to be your infinite knowledge of all subjects on the island and everybody elses apparent lack of it in your view, to include what sitting members of the government should be asking questions about, you could really hit the ground running.

With your clear lack of regard for those candidates who have announced that they wish to stand in what appears to be your constituency it would be an ideal opportunity to show the island exactly what you know and can do for the rest of its residents? As well as having your apparent wish to have a muppet in office fulfilled :thumbsup:

Screenshot_20210623-093438_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210623-093629_Chrome.jpg

That's a creepy obsession you have.  Boredom setting in................

As for standing, I'd be concerned about the restraining order needed on you.   Plus I enjoy what I do far too much to give it up.

Aside of that time will tell (a) who gets elected and (b) how well they do.   Big shoes to fill in Middle:)

Edited by The Dog's Dangly Bits

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Oh there are, but cases would need to be legally decided and for some reason lawyers tend to think money spent on legal advice is never wasted.

Good point. It seems the phone to the advocates is the first thing to consider nowadays. Why would anyone put themselves in the line for that, along side all the dog muck and rubbish collection and being at peoples beck and call and the criticisms and public apathy and being ignored by central government etc.

And then they wonder why there is a lack of interest in standing. Reform should be high on the next Administrations agenda. It's time to bite the bullet or no-one will be standing next time around. (Actually there's an idea....)

10 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It's a valid observation.   If you've got fuck all decent to say about anyone doing a certain thing then d it yourself.

Unless you are confirming you are equally as useless?

That’s just silly.

Say I have nothing decent to say about my doctors group practice receptionist.

Do I pursue the qualifications required to do the job, leave my present position and send them my CV?

I don’t think so but that is not confirmation that I am equally as useless as that receptionist.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

That’s just silly.

Say I have nothing decent to say about my doctors group practice receptionist.

Do I pursue the qualifications required to do the job, leave my present position and send them my CV?

I don’t think so but that is not confirmation that I am equally as useless as that receptionist.

We we talking about Commissioners.

And there's no way you're leaving your civil service job to be a receptionist :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

They bought his silence

I suppose so. Strictly speaking though, the ratepayer bought his silence.

How much?