School Teachers... Your Memories...

Last Ten

I can't think of ballakermeen without remembering seeing P.E. Teacher Robbie Teare running down the corridoor with his arms outstretched, making aeroplane noises. 

Of course, that's not the only memory I have of the place.  I just wanted to say something positive.

Nice one VinnieK

What an absolute cracking guy Robbie Teare was, where is he now and where is his colleague Steve Cooil the swimming instructor?????

Despite what I have already said about Benny Ball the ginga woodwork teacher, Ballakermeen School was not that bad after all!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Last Ten :D

Edited by Last Ten

My memories obviously go back to a previous age, when every teacher had an apposite nickname such as 'Pinhead,' 'Seaweed,' 'Hitler,' 'Deek,' 'Wimpy,' 'Poppa,' 'Pansy,' 'Wag,' 'Tatty,'

'Spider,' and so on.

They all did their level best to educate us, but the 1960s were a time of rebellion and some of us fell by the wayside. :(

More teachers from SNHS ...

Mr Moore - Fab teacher actually made RE lesson's bearable.

Mr Cole - Was always a bit scared of him (very loud voice)

Mr Mills - Top teacher, great sense of humour - made Chemistry interesting!!

Dr. Mc Nally - Mad American but excellent teacher

Mr Cottier (Headteacher at that time) NO COMMENT!!!

I don't recall Benny Ball having a skinhead but he did have a bald patch with strange groove things on that bit of his head.

My favourite teacher was Mr McSheffery and least favourites were Mr Vaukins and Mr Tattersall....he used to throw the board cleaner at you if you weren't paying attention.

One thing which sticks in my mind from Ballakermeen was Mrs Galbraith, the English teacher, sitting down for the lesson, her chair collapsed and she ended up in a heap on the floor.

Another interesting incident, my bessie mate (still now after 30 odd years) was in a class that were asked to provide urine samples for some, then, explainable experiment. So my mate went to her Mum who was a dinner lady and she asked another dinner lady who was pregnant, would she mind! What a result!!

When I went to Balla, my brother warned me about "Pinhead Kelly", can't remember what he taught, it was either chemistry or woodwork, either way not much chance of being taught by him in those days, I was, still am, a girl!

That was Putty Kelly

I actually seen the guy in Strand Street last week, didn't teach me but I can remember him at Balla...

Pretty sure his wife worked in Ballakermeen as well!?

Last Ten

ahhh, school days......

St Ninians ~88

Mr Cottier, nice fella now if you want to chat about sailing and brass bands.

English teacher who used to spit everywhere, what was his name?

Snidel, European chap, PE teacher, no comment!

Mrs Callow, geography, she was nice.

Paul Corrin, PE, another good guy.

Ballakermeen ~85

Benny Ball. Saw him in Jurby a couple of years a go, brought back memories. I wanted to run and hide!

Mr Marshal, deputy head, used to give us bollockings for wearing Fred Perry T-shirts. Saw him in Castletown a few years ago and stopped for a chat reminding him of the T-shirt thing. We had a laugh about it.

Robbie Teare, saw him in a bad mood once when someone wound him up, not a pretty sight.

oh, the banana tree............LOL

Just remembered about the worlds longest elastic band, C block yard to H block yard, nearly took a guys head off.

Edited by maggle

More teachers from SNHS ...

Mr Moore - Fab teacher actually made RE lesson's bearable.

Mr Cole - Was always a bit scared of him (very loud voice)

Mr Mills - Top teacher, great sense of humour - made                          Chemistry interesting!!

Dr. Mc Nally - Mad American but excellent teacher

Mr Cottier (Headteacher at that time)  NO COMMENT!!!

Yeah, I remember these guys. Probably about my time too but Cottier was replaced half way through with a Mr Quayle. I remember Mr Cole. As a short guy he towered over me and at the time was the scariest person I'd met. I think he was head of middle school. I always remember Mr Cottier doing assemblies about flowers and sailing - maybe there was some hidden message in his stories but at that age I wouldn't have spotted them.

Did anyone have an English teacher originally from Liverpool? She was very enthusiastic and scared me a little because she knew that I hated English. She'll be delighted to know that I know teach English I'm sure.

Despite what I have already said about Benny Ball the ginga woodwork teacher, Ballakermeen School was not that bad after all!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I'm not too sure if we're of the same era (born 1958), but I used to like the woodwork teacher at Balla who I think was the same Benny. Mind you, I always came top in woodwork :P

Edited by The Old Git

My memories obviously go back to a previous age, when every teacher had an apposite nickname such as  'Pinhead,' 'Seaweed,' 'Hitler,' 'Deek,' 'Wimpy,' 'Poppa,' 'Pansy,' 'Wag,' 'Tatty,'

'Spider,' and so on.

Yeah, I remember them. Poppa Cannel, licensed to dig

Who was the bloke who used to count all of the pages in your exercise book when you'd filled it to make sure you hadn't ripped any pages out?