Starlink

John Wright

I’m looking at options to upgrade my phone landline, internet and alarm in Spain.

Where we are is remote. End of the line for electric and phone line. Water is pumped from a well.

Current set up is Telefonica copper wire landline ( no internet as we are too far from exchange ), ADT alarm with perimeter and internal volumetric sensors, which is monitored via the phone line, and a microwave internet connection delivering 8-15Mbps down when atmospherics are good, and limited bandwidth/capacity when neighbouring kids are home. We use it for IPTV and work/leisure data/social media.

Cost, monthly. Land line €40, alarm €51 and internet €52. IPTV is €12 each month for a UK package.

There is no reliable mobile signal. To use mobile we have to drive to the end of the lane.

Telefonica have given notice to discontinue traditional copper landline and was offering a mobile based service. We’ve looked at signal amplification, but it’s not workable.

I can live with Voip phone. Alarm company can monitor via Starlink internet.

Starlink looks like the only option. 

Anyone got any practical experience of Starlink?  If we went with Starlink I’d probably put up some CCTV as well.

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m looking at options to upgrade my phone landline, internet and alarm in Spain.

Where we are is remote. End of the line for electric and phone line. Water is pumped from a well.

Current set up is Telefonica copper wire landline ( no internet as we are too far from exchange ), ADT alarm with perimeter and internal volumetric sensors, which is monitored via the phone line, and a microwave internet connection delivering 8-15Mbps down when atmospherics are good, and limited bandwidth/capacity when neighbouring kids are home. We use it for IPTV and work/leisure data/social media.

Cost, monthly. Land line €40, alarm €51 and internet €52. IPTV is €12 each month for a UK package.

There is no reliable mobile signal. To use mobile we have to drive to the end of the lane.

Telefonica have given notice to discontinue traditional copper landline and was offering a mobile based service. We’ve looked at signal amplification, but it’s not workable.

Anyone got any practical experience of Starlink?  If we went with Starlink I’d probably put up some CCTV as well.

I know a few people that have it and all say good things both on and off Island.  The on island guys are heavy user techies though.  For mortals on the Island Fibre is just as good compared to the actual expense.  I know some guys that use it in darkest Africa and it works just like a landline for them with very few glitches. 

If it's really the only option regarding remoteness, you really need it and can afford it, then I'd say go for it. 

17 hours ago, John Wright said:

I've got it here on the island and it's excellent. £75 per month (they dropped the price last year) and I usually get 200-300Mbps down and 20-30Mbps up.

It's only totally gone off twice in about 18 months and that was when the weather was horrendous with torrential rain. Probably not so much of an issue where you're looking to use it.

I had Clear-Vu install it on the roof and they were excellent as well. Brought the cable in exactly where I wanted it, even though it was a bit of extra work. Perhaps not an option for you though 😉

On 4/29/2023 at 9:09 AM, reptar said:

I've got it here on the island and it's excellent. £75 per month (they dropped the price last year) and I usually get 200-300Mbps down and 20-30Mbps up.

It's only totally gone off twice in about 18 months and that was when the weather was horrendous with torrential rain. Probably not so much of an issue where you're looking to use it.

I had Clear-Vu install it on the roof and they were excellent as well. Brought the cable in exactly where I wanted it, even though it was a bit of extra work. Perhaps not an option for you though 😉

Thanks. As I’ll save on fixed phone and internet that price level looks good.

We get more than our fair share of torrential downpours - summer and winter. But as that loses the microwave link and water gets into the fixed line junction boxes

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Update report. 

I’ve had Starlink in Spain for 9 months. Installation easy. Got a deal. Equipment cost €350, installation €150? Getting between €200-300 down and 30-50 up.

Updated the mesh, for in-house and garden WiFi ( patio and poolside ).

Monthly fee reduced to €40. No phone line cost. Verisure installed new alarm system with cameras/video which they monitor via Starlink.

Monthly cost now €81 for internet and alarm. Before €143.

• Like 3