RingGo

emesde

8 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

You miss the point as usual.

It is their responsibility but you would have to be an idiot to just blindly key physical card details into websites, not have two factor authentication, use the same password on multiple sites etc.

There are simple things people can do to minimise any issue when their data is inevitably put out there...

I agree that these breaches happen all the time and it doesn't look like a massive breach when it is c.900 people.  And you're right with there being many other breaches that happen every day that the public never hear about.

I don't agree that people are idiots about putting their card details on to websites and about them not having two factor authentication, or even about using the same passwords.  People are not idiots because so many are ignorant of these things.  The problem is also that people who are less familiar online and electronic technology see that they have the ability to do things but they naturally assume that it is safe enough doing so.  Nobody explains these things to most people so how would they know otherwise?

8 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Bit defensive aren't ya?...

I don't see why you would want a cover up...

The leaking of personal data is not inevitable, it is almost always caused by incompetence on the part of the company handling the data, as is no doubt the case here.

It doesn't matter how angry you get about it, that's the truth.

I don't think he is coming across as angry, defensive or is covering anything up.  I don't know how you're reading this into what he is saying.

The leaking of personal data is inevitable because most of the breaches are caused by incompetence of those who hold the data.  It doesn't really cost companies enough in punitive effects if the data is breach to put things in place to make it very unlikely it could happen.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

I agree that these breaches happen all the time and it doesn't look like a massive breach when it is c.900 people.  And you're right with there being many other breaches that happen every day that the public never hear about.

I don't agree that people are idiots about putting their card details on to websites and about them not having two factor authentication, or even about using the same passwords.  People are not idiots because so many are ignorant of these things.  The problem is also that people who are less familiar online and electronic technology see that they have the ability to do things but they naturally assume that it is safe enough doing so.  Nobody explains these things to most people so how would they know otherwise?

Fair enough.  I shouldn’t have said idiots.

I tried to highlight that it’s not really a thing for people to worry about, and advise politely on ways people could mitigate any risk from similar more serious breaches.

I got hounded by the usual idiots on here, had a bad hangover, and rose to their bait.

If one person reads this thread and doesn’t panic, but learns to use a virtual card then all is good.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

If one person reads this thread and doesn’t panic, but learns to use a virtual card then all is good.

I don't doubt you. Though how many people do you think know what one is, nevermind have one?

The problem is one of sharing this information.  The company wouldn't necessarily encourage one method and discourage another because the failure of electronic and online things is that the payment is seen as a discrete aspect of the use of their service and one that is really about their customer's wider use of technology. 

I don't think there are an easy answers to this problem. But first people have to be aware that there is a problem with the way they're doing things.

13 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

I don't doubt you. Though how many people do you think know what one is, nevermind have one?

The problem is one of sharing this information.  The company wouldn't necessarily encourage one method and discourage another because the failure of electronic and online things is that the payment is seen as a discrete aspect of the use of their service and one that is really about their customer's wider use of technology. 

I don't think there are an easy answers to this problem. But first people have to be aware that there is a problem with the way they're doing things.

There is one easy answer. Put the barrier and machines back. Takings are way down since Ringo. Needs to be scrapped and returned to the system that worked and was cost effective. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

You can't possibly mean the barrier system that is able to take cash or card transactions. That the power house of a man named Tim said was no longer manufactured and therefor unavailable. After much research by himself and the Civil Service the only way forward was to sign a legally binding contract with a shite parking app for the next 10 years? and we had better hurry up. Unless of course they lied to the Greater Manx Public.

An APNR system with cash, card, e-wallet payment and a tag toll system that registers you in and out and charges you the fee.

My Bip&Go tag covers all motorway tolls in France, Italy, Spain and Portugal. Plus about half the car parks. Really useful with a right hand drive.

Why they can’t  standardise to include UK M6 toll, Dartford Crossing, Mersey Tunnels, Runcorn, etc I don’t know.