Insulating suspended timber floors?

philwebs

It is winter and my feet are cold. Realising the issue is the suspended floor is not insulated. Floor is cold and feet are cold.

This is a typical 70's build. Chipboard floor, joists, air gap, air bricks.

Reading up no many appear to have dealt with this, 3% maybe.

Procedure is lift boards

Install a ‘vapour open’ membrane below your floor joists if you have crawling space. It has to be vapour open to allow the exit of any moist warm air to stop interstitial condensation.

Preferred method would be using fibrous insulation such as sheep’s wool, hemp, fibreglass, rockwool etc and not rigid board because it works better between timbers as it takes up any imperfections and movement of the timbers.

Result should be warm feed and a better insulated house.

Has anyone here had this done? Any recommendations for someone to do this work (and at what price for a typical room).

Roll on summer and warmer feet.

• philwebs changed the title to Insulating suspended timber floors?

I've done it in a small extension years ago. Stapled roof felt under the joists, used netting and 100mm rockwool. Guy I was working for though it broadly pointless, but that's what was on the drawings. Lifting old floorboards, and then getting them down again can be a nuisance, and 50yr old chipboard might be easier to replace with new. It might be a lot of work for not very much gain. 

• Thanks 1