Sydney Mall Stabbings

11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Always worth checking your biases. Everyone has them, some people are in denial, some people outright lie, some people wear them proudly, some people are just cunts.

As awful as this event was, really it's a local story for Australians. 

Possibly not, could be yet another wake up call to the Incel losers and the danger they pose, particularly in the context of social media.

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

There are sadly plenty of violent attacks with guns and knives around the world everyday that are carried about by people who are not Muslim.

You just jumped to a conclusion based on your prejudices. 

There are no prejudices and you will note that I ended my OP with a question mark, I was inviting opinions and comment.

Yes, there are attacks with guns and knives everyday but rarely on groups of innocent and random passers by. That particular genre has become the all-too-frequent hallmark of one particular group of people as a means of furthering and publicising its cause. Ask the families of those on a bridge in London or the family of Lee Rigby.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

That particular genre has become the all-too-frequent hallmark of one particular group of people as a means of furthering and publicising its cause. 

School shootings in the US?  Knife crime in London?  Neither are routinely undertaken by the group you are suggesting. 

On 4/14/2024 at 8:30 PM, manxman1980 said:

School shootings in the US?  Knife crime in London?  Neither are routinely undertaken by the group you are suggesting. 

And right on cue...with further reports citing chanting in Arabic with reference to, "The Prophet".

Screenshot_20240416-074151_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

And right on cue...with further reports citing chanting in Arabic with reference to, "The Prophet".

I was not arguing that religious hate crimes/terrorism does not happen.   I was pointing out that in the first case at the Sydney mall people, including you, jumped to the conclusion that the attack was carried out my a Muslim extremist without any evidence.  Sadly such crimes and attacks happen the world over and are more often linked to gangs, drugs and mental health rather than religious extremism. 

This latest case does seem like it is driven by religious extremism but it does not validate your prejudices.   

6 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I was not arguing that religious hate crimes/terrorism does not happen.   I was pointing out that in the first case at the Sydney mall people, including you, jumped to the conclusion that the attack was carried out my a Muslim extremist without any evidence.  Sadly such crimes and attacks happen the world over and are more often linked to gangs, drugs and mental health rather than religious extremism. 

This latest case does seem like it is driven by religious extremism but it does not validate your prejudices.   

My "prejudices" as you refer to them are borne of experience that is continually being reinforced, courtesy of the extremists that claim to be acting in the name of their religion, even against their own.

Whilst there are certainly murders driven by drugs, turf wars and mental health issues, they are very rarely directed against random, innocent and usually Western civilians going about their day to day lives and in mass numbers.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

My "prejudices" as you refer to them are borne of experience that is continually being reinforced, courtesy of the extremists that claim to be acting in the name of their religion, even against their own.

They are prejudices and that is borne out by your reaction to the Sydney Mall stabbing.  Your prejudice allowed you to jump to the conclusion that that attack was a terrorist attack by a religious extremist.  You are now using the second stabbing to justify your prejudice in the first case.  Which brings us to:

44 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Whilst there are certainly murders driven by drugs, turf wars and mental health issues, they are very rarely directed against random, innocent and usually Western civilians going about their day to day lives and in mass numbers.

Innocent people do get caught up in these though and a fairly regular basis.  On Christmas Eve 2022 a woman lost her life when she was shot dead outside a pub on the Wirral.  Several others were seriously injured in that instance as well.  In August that same year Olivia Pratt-Korbel was killed after a stranger burst into her home and the person pursuing shot her.  Up to March this year nice people have been left dead and 23 injured in school shootings in the US.  

All I am saying is that you need to stop assuming that every knife attack or shooting of innocents is done in the name of religious extremism.