Laptop Performance / Computer Generated Music

arronc

HI there,

I was just interested to see if there was anyone else interested in this on the Isle of Man.

It something im just getting into, and was wondering if anyone else is doing it.

Cheers,

Arron

At around about 1997-8 I had a band called Loaded that did chart covers and ventured a little into commercial dance music. (A bit cheesy today, but the songs were quite trendy at the time - Zoe – Sunshine on a rainy day, Garbage – Stupid Girl, Desree – Gotta be, all the way to Ultra Nate – Free and even BT – Flaming June as an instrumental at the end.) Sequencing and arrangements were programmed from scratch and with the exception of backing vocals and a few sound effects, everything was either performed or sequenced onstage, nothing recorded. At the time I couldn’t afford a sampler so all the synth sounds were created or tweaked from existing presets (as you do).

I ran a PC with quite a humble hardware setup - two SoundBlaster cards (one AWE64 Gold for MIDI output and some HD recording playback and a SB16 for the drummer’s click track and cues.) I used (IIRC) Cakewalk Pro Audio 8 on Windows 98, powering a Yamaha pseudo-analogue keyboard (who’s name escapes me) a Roland SC-55 and some other MIDI gear. The band consisted of live drums (although it was an electric kit), bass, guitar, female lead vocals and live keyboards, along with the whistles and bells, percussion, occasional backing vocals etc provided by the PC. Looking back it was a pretty brave thing to do, and it preceded the backing-tape-tastic days of today. I guess it’s not wholly computer-generated music in perhaps the sense you mean, but it’s certainly going onstage with sequencers and synths and using it in real-time, rather than relying on recordings etc.

HI loaf :

Well, yeah thats the kind of thing I was talking about. I also used to be havily into tracking at the time : but spectrums and commodore 64's were my weapons of choice.

I guess I was interested to see if anyone was playing music written for lap performance, running in reason/live/max or whatever.

Well, yeah thats the kind of thing I was talking about. I also used to be havily into tracking at the time : but spectrums and commodore 64's were my weapons of choice.

I guess I was interested to see if anyone was playing music written for lap performance, running in reason/live/max or whatever.

I had parts in the band that were sent to the Yamaha keyboard and I adjusted filter, res etc settings in real-time, but I guess you're talking about an almost fully self-contained setup?

Laptops weren't really an option when I did my stuff because at the time a.) I couldn't afford one, b.) the onboard sound was usually rubbish with no MIDI. c.) USB etc was still in short pants and PCMCIA sound cards were expensive too.

Well, im just chatting in general , and so dont want to close down any interesting discussions that come up, but I guess what I was really asking is there anyone who is interested in it to the extent of either listening to CGM performance music, or was actually performing it locally.

Bit of a longshot really. ;)

Archived