Douglas Council Car Parks

commish

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=75982

According to Manx Radio, the Council is proposing to increase the charges for parking in the Drumgold Street and Chester Street car parks by 20%. Talk about trying to rip off the public.....!

But I am confused. I thought that these car parks were operated by the Government, not the Council. According to the Council website, they operate three car parks - Shaw's Brow, the Bottleneck and Pulrose Road. What's going on?

So, was responsibility for operating these car parks transfer from the DoI as part of the transfer of services from Government down to local authorities?

Phil Gawne promised not long ago that there would be no more above-inflation increases. Does the DoI not have the power to veto these proposals?

• 1 year later...

I see that Drumgold Street car park charges have increased from (First Hour) £1.80p to £2.20p w.e.f. 1st April. Not quite in line with inflation then !! In 2013 the cost was £1 and it has increased to £1.50 then £1.80 prior to this latest jump.

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=75982

According to Manx Radio, the Council is proposing to increase the charges for parking in the Drumgold Street and Chester Street car parks by 20%. Talk about trying to rip off the public.....!

But I am confused. I thought that these car parks were operated by the Government, not the Council. According to the Council website, they operate three car parks - Shaw's Brow, the Bottleneck and Pulrose Road. What's going on?

M&S already went up last week.

I see that Drumgold Street car park charges have increased from (First Hour) £1.80p to £2.20p w.e.f. 1st April. Not quite in line with inflation then !! In 2013 the cost was £1 and it has increased to £1.50 then £1.80 prior to this latest jump.

It's to encourage people to shop in Douglas. Along with all the other good ideas.

People will continue to pay, and tut as they've always done. It's very rare you'll have someone have the guts to drive through the barrier and break it.

And so the price will continue to go up.

Tesco deliver and have free parking. Shoprite free parking everything else on ebay or amazon, i dont see the problem. What they increase on parking they lose on vat. I havent been to douglas since november and cant see any reason to visit there in the near future.

Archived