Excellence Awards 2015

I don't know if anyone watched this arse licking, self congratulatory shindig last night? Having watched it and having watched the Chief Minister deliver his speech, is it me, or does anyone else think the CM is piss poor at delivering speeches. I thought it was highly inappropriate for him to berate people, who he thinks are doing the island down - his words 'naysayers'. He would rather that everyone on the island congratulates him on a job well done. Sadly he thinks we shouldn't have an opinion, and we shouldn't voice our opinion as it could damage the islands reputation. I would say that his speech was rather like Kenneth Williams in the Carry on Films, particularly playing Julius Ceasar with the immortal line 'infamy, infamy they all have it infamy!'

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He did that speech when I was there too. The people who are in the room are the chosen ones and so will support him come what may.

I was the only one not waving the flags we were given, with gusto during Land of Hope and Glory or whatever the song was. Perhaps it was the National Anthem Whatever.

I felt I was in danger of being ruffed up and being ejected, like the guy from The Odessa file:

https://youtu.be/idRGcEFzntk?t=16m11s

Fortunately Mr Bell cannot yet stifle free speech. Much as he and Corkish would like to.

The man has always regarded himself and his policies as being above criticism. History will be his judge.

To 2112...

Privately organised and privately funded party so some business people can slap each other on the back and say 'well done old chap'.

Who gives a shit?

This thread is like me complaining that I didn't think much of the party at the house down the road that was I wasn't invited to. You know what it is going to be like, it's been happening for years, so why bother watching when you already know it's not for you? You come across as one of those daily mail readers who tunes into a post-watershed tv programme with an adult theme just so you can be outraged by it.

There's plenty to be outraged about without getting your knickers in a twist because some people handed out some pretend prizes to each other.

And what do you expect Bell, as chief minister, to do when invited to speak to local business people? Do you expect him to say 'well, we've fucked it right up and everyone should keep pointing that out' or to try and defend his government's record in public? Do you honestly think any 'leader' is going to stand up in public and say 'you know what, those people saying we're fucked have hit the nail on the head. don't know about you fuckers, but I'm on the next flight outta here'.

Grow the fuck up.

To 2112...

Privately organised and privately funded party so some business people can slap each other on the back and say 'well done old chap'.

Who gives a shit?

This thread is like me complaining that I didn't think much of the party at the house down the road that was I wasn't invited to. You know what it is going to be like, it's been happening for years, so why bother watching when you already know it's not for you? You come across as one of those daily mail readers who tunes into a post-watershed tv programme with an adult theme just so you can be outraged by it.

There's plenty to be outraged about without getting your knickers in a twist because some people handed out some pretend prizes to each other.

And what do you expect Bell, as chief minister, to do when invited to speak to local business people? Do you expect him to say 'well, we've fucked it right up and everyone should keep pointing that out' or to try and defend his government's record in public? Do you honestly think any 'leader' is going to stand up in public and say 'you know what, those people saying we're fucked have hit the nail on the head. don't know about you fuckers, but I'm on the next flight outta here'.

Grow the fuck up.

You said that last time.

Is it really a stupid event? A private business, sponsored by other private businesses, are giving out some self-congratulatory, back-slapping awards at a black tie piss up.

Those who attend will get a nice night out and a bit of entertainment from a man off telly and radio, those who are nominated can feel all warm and fuzzy, those who win can be happy and excited.

It matters not one shit to the rest of us. It doesn't in any way impact on us, unless we're nominated or there, sop can be largely ignored.

Being angry about this is like being angry about someone else's birthday party. It's basically meaningless, especially to you, but has no impact on you and could happen without you even noticing.

And yet, we will have pages of comments now about how outrageous it is.

And the time before.

I may have mentioned this the last time everyone got upset, but who cares?

If you or your company were nominated, you got to dress up and have a night out, and maybe won an award.

If not, life went on uninterrupted.

You aren't paying for it, you don't have to attend and it has no consequence whatsoever on your life, so why do you all care so much? It is on a par with me giving out prizes to my children for who tidied best, and who got dressed quickest. Meaningless to everyone but me and my kids, but of no harm to anyone.

Seriously, why care?

And the time before that.

Why do we care? If you're nominated, it's a pat on the back from your mates and a night out all dressed up. If you're not, no one is forcing you to pay attention to it or attend, and you aren't paying for it, so why give a shit?

It is Daily Mail-style looking for something to be angry about

Looking forward to November 2016 thumbsup.gif

Ahhhhh Censorship ............. very original cut and paste. I'm sure though it is taxpayer subsidised - would the organisers pay full price for the use of government facilities? I doubt it!

I only posted the topic as I watched the CM give his speech and was quite frankly appalled at his tone. It was though his comments were aimed at a certain audience. It was not the time or place to make comments about naysayers and the like. A man of his position, and stature and supposed intellect would have made a speech without making barbs.

And the time before that.

Why do we care? If you're nominated, it's a pat on the back from your mates and a night out all dressed up. If you're not, no one is forcing you to pay attention to it or attend, and you aren't paying for it, so why give a shit?

It is Daily Mail-style looking for something to be angry about

Looking forward to November 2016 :thumbsup:

Ha ha. Media tart throws toys out of pram at people who object to his preferred IOMG backslapping festival.

And the award for 4 years of hilariously hysterical media defending bullshit goes to .... Censorship! Yay! Let's all join the conga line of buggery around the dance floor and wave our hands in the air!

To 2112...

Who gives a shit?

Grow the fuck up.

Do you honestly think Bell wrote his speech?

To 2112...

Who gives a shit?

Grow the fuck up.

Do you honestly think Bell wrote his speech?

If he did it would have been written using crayons. I'm surprised he didn't mention GDP, Growth equal to China and 6 banks never got a mention.

Lol. True though. Load of bollocks.

For anyone interested IOM online has posted all the video clips of this event online. Unfortunately it's webssite is so unbelievably shit that you'll spend at least 25 minutes trying to get onto the page, and to play the videos, before wanting to smash whatever device you are using against the wall in frustration because you can't see or play bloody anything. Absolute shite.

Quel dommage! You mean the wider world will be deprived of this treat?

To 2112...

Who gives a shit?

Grow the fuck up.

You are quite right.

Nobody was forced to go, so only those who had an interest in Quality Improvement and people getting praise for "Excellence" in their field should have been there.

Maybe too many folks looking for a free glass of bubbly went and felt a bit inferior !

Quite simple really, if you don't like that kind of thing, DON'T GO. whatever.gif

Don't mind people having a party and slapping each other on the back so long as they appreciate that the whole idea is just another "industry" dreamed up by some marketing guru to make money from the interested parties. Every industry you can think of and loads of organisations have their own "awards". They hand the things out like cakes.

Archived