Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

Leap, until recently I would have agreed. I never go to the doctor, never been to hospital, never had any social security help, always paid full income tax.

Then I was taken ill. Weeks in hospitals, many scans (different types), major surgery, now recovering. I recon my treatment will gave cost NHS many £100k for which, if course I am eternally grateful.

Of course my taxes also pay for street lights, police, roads, sewerage, street cleaning and many other public services. Personally I do not resent paying taxes. I do gate waste and inefficiency though.

• Like 1

Lots of autocorrect errors I had to fix in that post. I'm saying over half my monthly salary goes to the government in the form of taxes.

And?

Like you are alone in that.

Unless you are earning 100k plus a year I suspect you are a net consumer.

Government subsidise many things. If it was purely down to commerciality on everything you would have hardly anything here.

Manx Radio provides a national broadcasting service and in order to do that it needs to make a huge and diverse range of programmes which costs money.

To be fair to MR they are diversifying the business which in future years should see results. But we are unlikely to get away from some sort of subsidy.

By your logic we should close the airport.

Edited by notwell
  • Like 1

The main point people are making is that we don't really need a public service broadcaster and for the best part of £1m a year there are much better things government could be spending our money on than an expensive retirement home for 1970s DJs. The news isn't that much different to the other stations. We've also already established that very few people are interested in local politics by the terrible turnout we saw at the recent elections; and I would suggest that one of the main reasons for that lack of interest is the hideous sycophantic treatment of politicians and government in general by Manx Radio under the guise of its public service mandate. It's one of the primary reasons why people have all but given up on the ability of government and society here to deliver any form of increased accountability or change whatsoever. For the last 15 years at least it's become just like the state broadcaster in any Eastern Bloc country during the Cold War. There are much better things we could spend £1m on in these straightened times and if they are diversifying income they should be doing it quicker and with their own money not ours.

Edited by JackCarter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I must be part of the 5% then - I've paid a lot more in than I'll ever take out.

You must have a crystal ball then, Stu. You know exactly how long you will live. You know how much pension you will draw. What medical conditions will befall you and the treatment required. If you end up in residential care after you have exhausted your assets you also must know for how long and at what cost. In short, your assertion is unknowable.

• Thanks 1

I must be part of the 5% then - I've paid a lot more in than I'll ever take out.

You must have a crystal ball then, Stu. You know exactly how long you will live. You know how much pension you will draw. What medical conditions will befall you and the treatment required. If you end up in residential care after you have exhausted your assets you also must know for how long and at what cost. In short, your assertion is unknowable.

And his taxpayer subsidised salary from all those years he worked at Manx Radio.

Does anyone here really believe that if Manx Radio stopped getting the subvention that that money would come back to the people, or go to something more worthy? *chuckles*

That money is gone my friends, lost to the Government

Does anyone here really believe that if Manx Radio stopped getting the subvention that that money would come back to the people, or go to something more worthy? *chuckles*

No but if you are optimistic in your outlook it's possible to believe that if they stopped investing £1m into a retirement home for Smashie and Nicey they'd then have £1m to put into the health services or the fire or ambulance services etc. It might not work exactly like that but the more frivolous expenses that get dumped should logically free up more money for key services.

• Thanks 1

No but if you are optimistic in your outlook it's possible to believe that if they stopped investing £1m into a retirement home for Smashie and Nicey they'd then have £1m to put into the health services or the fire or ambulance services etc. It might not work exactly like that but the more frivolous expenses that get dumped should logically free up more money for key services.

You really must stop chewing those F*****g lemons. You went a whole week being fairly normal, but now you're back to being a total dick. Why ?

You really must stop chewing those F*****g lemons. You went a whole week being fairly normal, but now you're back to being a total dick. Why ?

Because like many people I attach little value to the £1m we pump into Manx Radio and I would rather that we pumped the money into something that benefits society like the Police (who are saying they are horrendously underfunded), the Fire service or some other front line services. We don't need a public service broadcaster pumping out bland sycophantic state sponsored nothingness on current affairs when almost 60% of the population (as demonstrated by the voter turnout in some constituencies) has shown that they have absolutely no interest in local politics or current affairs at all. In fact I would suggest that Manx Radio is one of the main reasons why nobody cares either having listened to most of the interviews around the 2016 candidates.

It could easily operate profitably. It's just got used to not having to.

Edited by JackCarter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In which directions to they intend to diversify?

Have a look. It's all there for you to see.

Potentially lucrative business too and already getting decent traction.

That sounds familiar, a bit like that slackbladder who was talking up that manxradiott365 bollocks.

Lots of autocorrect errors I had to fix in that post. I'm saying over half my monthly salary goes to the government in the form of taxes.

And?

Like you are alone in that.

Unless you are earning 100k plus a year I suspect you are a net consumer.

Government subsidise many things. If it was purely down to commerciality on everything you would have hardly anything here.

Manx Radio provides a national broadcasting service and in order to do that it needs to make a huge and diverse range of programmes which costs money.

To be fair to MR they are diversifying the business which in future years should see results. But we are unlikely to get away from some sort of subsidy.

By your logic we should close the airport.

The fact that I'm not alone in that is precisely my point, DUH. All of us taxpayers are being stiffed into paying to fund and subsidise other people's overpaid jobs which would otherwise go if they had to compete in the open free market. The only reason these people are kept and paid is because they provide state propaganda. They are welcome to provide a national broadcasting service by funding their operation with the ads they already incorporate into their broadcasting and stop robbing off me. If they can't do that and balance their accounts then I suggest to you they're obviously doing something wrong. There are many very successful radio stations in the world which don't need any government funding. Sorry but your post strikes me as a desperate post by a Manx Radio employee trying to keep the gravy train choo-choo-ing to that shite station. All I can say is, if you have talent and ability, and really believe in radio, apply for a bank loan and fund it yourself. If your station has any commercial viability, I'm sure they'll be happy to provide a reasonable loan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1