Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

For the sake of fairness, PG has always admitted to his youthful excesses, for which he paid the price. Don't forget he was elected a number of times as MHK and still has lots of support, understands how the Island works, can speak Manx Gaelic and knows about farming and the countryside. So it's a no-brainer to use him if those attributes are useful to a programme. Now, I've not heard it, but if he's subverting an innocent radio show to launch a political coup, you may have a point. Is he?

Ewan started as an intern at MR and now works for the BBC and is a most agreeable young man. Let's not visit the sins of the father unto the son, eh?

• Like 3

Stu

Thought you could have done more with the Summerland campaigner today.

Surely with that topic already picked you could have had her as a studio guest rather than on a bad mobile, which dropped out.

You cut her back by saying you had more people waiting but it was just a few text messages then you got in more records. Why not get both parties up for a good chat?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WKRP said:

Stu

Thought you could have done more with the Summerland campaigner today.

Surely with that topic already picked you could have had her as a studio guest rather than on a bad mobile, which dropped out.

You cut her back by saying you had more people waiting but it was just a few text messages then you got in more records. Why not get both parties up for a good chat?

Because she was breaking the golden rules of the show (legal, honest, decent, truthful). She was asserting as facts what appeared to be only conjecture, and seemed to me to be stirring up a lot of negative feedback. You get a sense of these things, and I don't want to end up in court defending myself for allowing someone a platform for what has become their personal crusade or cause celebre.

I appreciate your constructive criticism, but who would I have put on to counter her claims, 45 years after the event?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Because she was breaking the golden rules of the show (legal, honest, decent, truthful). She was asserting as facts what appeared to be only conjecture, and seemed to me to be stirring up a lot of negative feedback. You get a sense of these things, and I don't want to end up in court defending myself for allowing someone a platform for what has become their personal crusade or cause celebre.

I appreciate your constructive criticism, but who would I have put on to counter her claims, 45 years after the event?

I have to say Stu it was quite funny the way you did it. But I also have to say your show has got a lot better in the last 6 months the more jaded and belligerent you seem to have become. It sounds a lot less like the Radio TASS phone in it used to be where non compliance with set government policy resulted in similar telephone drop offs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

For the sake of fairness, PG has always admitted to his youthful excesses, for which he paid the price. Don't forget he was elected a number of times as MHK and still has lots of support, understands how the Island works, can speak Manx Gaelic and knows about farming and the countryside. So it's a no-brainer to use him if those attributes are useful to a programme. Now, I've not heard it, but if he's subverting an innocent radio show to launch a political coup, you may have a point. Is he?

Ewan started as an intern at MR and now works for the BBC and is a most agreeable young man. Let's not visit the sins of the father unto the son, eh?

Well I'm not so sure he has admitted all of them, but in any case he had little choice but to admit regarding the fire-raising. And I'm also not so sure he knows any more than anyone else 'how the Island works' but he certainly knows about farming and understands how the Government works for all his years in it, to the extent his  manoeuvring to get the Countryside Care Scheme through Tynwald for family and mates, was, I have to say, masterful.

The landowners/farmers ten year bonanza is up this year and I wonder how they will fare without him on the inside, but I suppose Howard is there to keep the gravy rolling in.

Yes, the young fella seems a good chap and I will agree with your last sentence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Bang on the money,she has been harping on about "summerland" for the past forty fucking years,it's time she was taken down a peg or two.

• Like 2

That woman is a nightmare,  Summerland, the one that tragically burned down was rebuilt, the replacement building has now been pulled down so the original site has already been built on once.     There is a perfectly good memorial site really close.  This woman seems to think she is the only one that was left with nightmares, a few of the people who actually had to help hands on were the ones who were traumatised.   Lots of locals had near misses, I used to go every Thursday night, my day off, luckily I decided to give it a miss that night.   It was dreadful, I remember  they laid the bodies out in St George's Hall.   This woman is an attention seeker, nothing more, everyone in Douglas saw the flames and smelled the acrid smoke that night.    Get a car park built and done with it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:12 PM, Linz said:

Yes the MR democracy reporter, whose dad was an MHK when he was employed to report on democracy for the public service broadcaster. 

I just thought that by not being employed by Manx Radio, he'd be it bit more  "vicious" in his interviewing/reporting. A little bit Paxman. Not to be.  Side-bread-buttered-knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Burt said:

I just thought that by not being employed by Manx Radio, he'd be it bit more  "vicious" in his interviewing/reporting. A little bit Paxman. Not to be.  Side-bread-buttered-knowledge.

Perhaps he should burn the station down? 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hissingsid said:

That woman is a nightmare,  Summerland, the one that tragically burned down was rebuilt, the replacement building has now been pulled down so the original site has already been built on once.    

Unfortunately it wasn't rebuilt, it was more refurbished.

The reinforced concrete shell remained but had a severe and obvious schoolboy design fault and had to be pulled down. 

• Thanks 1