Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

13 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

But it's more a public service than a business. The commercial side is there primarily to reduce the amount of public subvention needed, and support the programming pot. Unlike the commercial side of the hospital where income from private work by doctors primarily goes to them personally.

And it's certainly not a 'failing' business. It's evolving more into multimedia than pure radio, but that's surely to be expected and welcomed as consumer habits change.

I'm not part of management so have no axe to grind, but I don't think there are any more managers at Manx Radio than in any comparable organisation. Let's face it, someone in authority has to bollock me every now and then.

But does the commercial side actually wash it's face? Does it cover it's own costs, let alone provide income to reduce the subvention? I doubt it does. The amount of advertising that's broadcast suggests to me that it's actually heavily discounted.

I don't listen to MR very often but when I do there seems to be many more adverts now than at any other time in the past. That suggests to me that it's perhaps more affordable than before. If that's the case, does it actually make a profit. I have my doubts. I hope I'm wrong, otherwise it needs binning.

• Like 3

I hope this new boss wake s up to the fact that Manx Radio has very few young listeners and plays more middle of the road music.   I like Manx Radio but when that bang bang music comes on with some soft dame repeating one word for the duration of the song I have to turn to Radio 2. I am not a miserable old git when it comes to music love Queen and all the 60 music country and western ,Adele, Doolittle and most peices with a recognisable tune , big band whatever but some of the rubbish churned out is beyond reason I am not alone in this a lot of people have made similar comments.   If you do not believe this ask your kids if they listen to Manx Radio.   This was actually pointed out in the report before last when it was said that the Station should cater for the audience it had not the audience it would like leave that to Radio 1.

15 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I hope this new boss wake s up to the fact that Manx Radio has very few young listeners and plays more middle of the road music.   I like Manx Radio but when that bang bang music comes on with some soft dame repeating one word for the duration of the song I have to turn to Radio 2. I am not a miserable old git when it comes to music love Queen and all the 60 music country and western ,Adele, Doolittle and most peices with a recognisable tune , big band whatever but some of the rubbish churned out is beyond reason I am not alone in this a lot of people have made similar comments.   If you do not believe this ask your kids if they listen to Manx Radio.   This was actually pointed out in the report before last when it was said that the Station should cater for the audience it had not the audience it would like leave that to Radio 1.

Ah, classic. Keep the kids out, you know the future listeners..keep playing the same old songs to the ever decreasing audience.  Yep, that’ll work. 

Reminds me of a classic golf membership, the old farts complaining about the pesky juniors and they should be banned, same old farts also complaining about reduced membership numbers and higher membership fees to cover costs..

Edited by Gizo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

It must be difficult for the likes of Energy and 3FM to compete with radio advertising, when manx radio is subsidized, and can undercut the competition, and has the TT coverage / commentary to get the cream of the advertising revenue.

Edited by LightBulb
  • Confused 1

But Energy and 3FM were set up as simple music stations and never intended to offer the breadth of programming that MR does - and that's primarily where the subvention goes. So it's nothing to do with using public money to undercut the competition. In fact that allegation (from the usual suspects) was officially disproved and laid to rest by the OFT last year.

As to 'attract the young', that was the intent of MR's KikFM at the weekends - which as I understand it was closed down after the Darwin Report in return for an increased PSB remit and subvention and to allow the then new Energy to serve the youth market. Of course, they soon realised the unsustainability of that.

The ad loading hasn't gone up in the 17 years I've been there I don't think - still the same number of minutes per hour.

ETA: And the commercial side makes a significant net profit on its activities.

Edited by Stu Peters
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

But Energy and 3FM were set up as simple music stations and never intended to offer the breadth of programming that MR does - and that's primarily where the subvention goes. So it's nothing to do with using public money to undercut the competition. In fact that allegation (from the usual suspects) was officially disproved and laid to rest by the OFT last year.

As to 'attract the young', that was the intent of MR's KikFM at the weekends - which as I understand it was closed down after the Darwin Report in return for an increased PSB remit and subvention and to allow the then new Energy to serve the youth market. Of course, they soon realised the unsustainability of that.

The ad loading hasn't gone up in the 17 years I've been there I don't think - still the same number of minutes per hour.

-

Edited by LightBulb
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

It must be difficult for the likes of Energy and 3FM to compete with radio advertising, when manx radio is subsidized, and can undercut the competition, and has the TT coverage / commentary to get the cream of the advertising revenue.

I have seen brighter lightbulbs, to be honest. 

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

But does the commercial side actually wash it's face? Does it cover it's own costs, let alone provide income to reduce the subvention? I doubt it does. The amount of advertising that's broadcast suggests to me that it's actually heavily discounted.

I wondered about that as well.  Even by the standards of public services and the Isle of Man, Manx Radio's accounts are scanty, but there seemed to be a feeling among those who did the last Report that the 'commercial activity' was barely worth doing.  Presumably once you've taken off the production costs of the ads and the costs of those selling them (including the Director) then there wasn't that great a contribution made.  Of course those employed to do it may feel differently - particularly if they also get commission.

7 hours ago, hissingsid said:

You like Country & Western, yet you don't like 'rubbish music'!!! Maybe you should write to the new boss asking for a half hour programme just for you  - you seem to think you're special enough! 

22 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

But it's more a public service than a business. The commercial side is there primarily to reduce the amount of public subvention needed, and support the programming pot. Unlike the commercial side of the hospital where income from private work by doctors primarily goes to them personally.

And it's certainly not a 'failing' business. It's evolving more into multimedia than pure radio, but that's surely to be expected and welcomed as consumer habits change.

I'm not part of management so have no axe to grind, but I don't think there are any more managers at Manx Radio than in any comparable organisation. Let's face it, someone in authority has to bollock me every now and then.

Stu, the only MR programmes I listen to every day are Talking Heads (I notice you're getting quite philosphical recently - suits you!) and on Sundays  the Mannin Line. Plus all the Manx Gaelic programmes when I remember. Rest of the morning I have RTE Radio 1 on because they have such lively. humerous and intelligent discussions. I don't understand why people complain about the music  (and programmes/adverts generally) when they can easily tune in to other channels or listen to their own playlists on itunes or whatever.  There's such things as volume control and off-switch (I rush to turn it off at 3pm for the incredibly annoying and sanctimonious 'Thought for the Day shite!) then on again for the news at 5 o'clock. Then it's telly time :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snaipyr said:

Stu, the only MR programmes I listen to every day are Talking Heads (I notice you're getting quite philosphical recently - suits you!) and on Sundays  the Mannin Line. Plus all the Manx Gaelic programmes when I remember. Rest of the morning I have RTE Radio 1 on because they have such lively. humerous and intelligent discussions. I don't understand why people complain about the music  (and programmes/adverts generally) when they can easily tune in to other channels or listen to their own playlists on itunes or whatever.  There's such things as volume control and off-switch (I rush to turn it off at 3pm for the incredibly annoying and sanctimonious 'Thought for the Day shite!) then on again for the news at 5 o'clock. Then it's telly time :) 

A perfectly reasonable approach. I also listen to other stations - it's like owning a chippy yet going out for a burger now and then.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I don't listen to MR very often but when I do there seems to be many more adverts now than at any other time in the past. That suggests to me that it's perhaps more affordable than before. If that's the case, does it actually make a profit. I have my doubts. I hope I'm wrong, otherwise it needs binning.

regardless of what the OFT came out with according to stu,  manx radio slashed it's cost of advertising with them very soon after energy FM started broadcasting.  it must just have been a coincidence.....