Manx Radio

Desperate Dan

On 12/29/2022 at 9:02 PM, TheTeapot said:

No, its good.

The Second Coming by The Stone Roses wasn't met with adulation especially from the press, after taking 5 years and sounding like a totally different band, but its completely great. I'd listen to a radio show about it.

I argued with my mate that the second coming was a better album than the first. He thought id been smoking too much. I still stand by my stance.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2023 at 8:32 PM, Moghrey Mie said:

When are Manx Radio going to get disabled access for their building.

'Reporters' should be out around the island seeing how the Equality Act 2017 is working in practice.

There is no reason why they should be on a prime site overlooking Douglas. Sell the building off and relocate to some unit in the Business park. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gizo said:

There is no reason why they should be on a prime site overlooking Douglas. Sell the building off and relocate to some unit in the Business park. 

So, you advocate spending money on new studios and equipment despite all the investment in the current location?

It's a prime site if you like wind and rain.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

So, you advocate spending money on new studios and equipment despite all the investment in the current location?

It's a prime site if you like wind and rain.

they've got the equipment and as previously mentioned its not fit for the equality act. Any sale will cover any significant cost of attaching egg boxes to a wall. 

The building is an overground concrete bunker and I suspect is unsuitable for pretty much anything except demolition, and as we've seen from the demolished site in front of it there's apparently no appetite for redevelopment. Far better solution to leave them there where vast amounts have been invested over the years in making the building fit for its specific purpose. I agree that it should be accessible to people with a disability, but the costs are disproportionately high and for most practical purposes nowadays the station can go to the person rather than vice versa.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Far better solution to leave them there where vast amounts have been invested over the years in making the building fit for its specific purpose. 

I would point out, that not only over the years, but the vast amount invested as soon as it was realised that - particularly with the surge in technology advances -  there was a realistic business case for putting Manx Radio into an industrial estate unit (or equivalent) somewhere, or indeed anywhere.

This lesson was learnt when a case for the building refurbishment of the Government Lab on Kingswod Grove was forced through House of Keys and then Tynwald for financial approval, to house the iMuseum. The now defunct builders (McArds) were literally (....literally I tell thee) waiting in their vans along Kingswood Grove listening to the live Tynwald broadcast on their radios, waiting for the financial approval. The lads had to have an extra cup of flasky tea before the crucial vote when the young fella Juan Watterson MHK piped up that there wasn't actually a need for a physical presence Imuseum as the technology was available to do it all online. To be fair this was before https://www.imuseum.im/search/ and we may even had likes of Harry's Internet Cafe still knocking about.

Anyway, I have no problem with Manx Radio being where it is. I've always enjoyed my visits there. Up until quite recent years Terry Cringle's typewriter was sat on a desk. Is it still there - it should, as a reminder of an excellent journalist and human being, and as a portal into past eras.

• Like 2

At least sited where it is, they can tell you when the ship arrives, though some of them can even get that wrong when they are looking out of the window!

I'm surprised they haven't got an illuminated sign to advertise their presence, like the "Electric Railway" sign at the other end of Douglas. Though I suppose it might get blown away almost as soon ass it's put up.

Manx Radio had a rather large illuminated sign (like the one for the trams) many years ago.

However, the bright spark who'd come up with the idea, a senior management figure, I'm told neglected to obtain the necessary planning permission, hence it wasn't up for very long.

8 minutes ago, Sentience said:

Manx Radio had a rather large illuminated sign (like the one for the trams) many years ago.

However, the bright spark who'd come up with the idea, a senior management figure, I'm told neglected to obtain the necessary planning permission, hence it wasn't up for very long.

It would get a preservation order these days if it still existed.

• 3 weeks later...