Gcse Results

bubblybaby

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
history is a respected academic subject.

and politics is simply an interest.

i take insult at them being banded with media studies!

Oh dear, it's a shame when someone falls from their high horse so early on in a discussion. Yes you may have a true passion for History and wish to pursue it...ever thought that perhaps some of those going to study media have a passion for it and wish to pursue it?

I know of one student from the island who is currently studying media studies who has managed to get a summer job based in the field they want to go into. They want a job in the media and have chosen a degree course that has allowed them to achieve that aim. Perhaps not such a wasted degree after all?

I study media (well Media, Communications and Culture to be precise) as part of a dual honours course. Okay i doubt very much that i'll move into a career "in the media" at the end of my course but i have picked up valuable skills in the process. They are skills that relate to my other choice of degree and allow me a more detailed knowledge of the practicalities involved in certain areas of it, an advantage over choosing the single degree option.

I get tired of fighting my corner for doing media studies, yes lots of people take it because it's seen as a soft touch, yes lots of students take it and yes lots of students pass it but that doesn't make it as worthless as people make out. We live in a world that has been shaped by the media, and it's currently going through a massive change with the advent of the truly interactive media via the internet etc. Studying that change is something i find massively interesting, if you wish to write that off as a waste of time fine, that's your choice and as i said before i'm tired of defending myself.

P.S. Congrats to BB's son, hope you're doing traditional A-Levels, none of this sociology rubbish ;)

So, how did you, or your children do?

I am pleased to say that my son has made it to Sixth Form and I am one very proud mother!!

Well my eldest son is going into the Sixth Form too. I am sooo surprised! But very proud too. :)

This thread is crazy....I've been in QEII Sixth Form for a year now, (so BB's son and I will share the common room in a weeks time, lol) and think its really good. A year ago, I had no clue of what I wanted to do in the future, no clue at all. And now, a whole year on, I still have no idea. I've taken Chemistry, Maths, Sociology and History for my A-Level, a fairly varied selection in the hope that one of them will intrest me further, so I can take something like it in University. But it hasn't and recently, I've been looking at Uni Prospectus's to decide my courses for Uni. When looking at these I've taken fancy to strange courses, ones that don't usually come up, like 'Forensic Computing' and 'Events Management', things like that. I think that our choices should be our own choices, what we want to do and not what society needs or w/e. I know iom_cb, hes a good guy and hes ace at history so i give him all the support in later life and in his chosen Uni courses.

ET

Congrats right back at your son manx-minx!! :D

My son is taking Business Studies, I.T, P.E, Extra Maths, Psychology and Young Enterprise.

Business Studies - Mr Hampson - sound guy.

I.T. - Heywood in year one (he's good). Corlett in year two....complete twat.

Psycology - erm...used to be mrs bradbury but i think she's left. dunno who's doin that.

Young Enterprise - that almost destroyed me it was so stressful. lol.

To ethnic_tom- cheers mate....hope year 13 goes well!!! and that you have some decent year 12's in...unlike some of your year. lol (kinky bill...cough cough)

Congrats right back at your son manx-minx!! :D

My son is taking Business Studies, I.T, P.E, Extra Maths, Psychology and Young Enterprise.

I chose Psychology, it's quite a tough subject believe it or not. Especially if his exam board is AQA!!

Young Enterprise, yeh that is pretty stressful, make sure he know's that it isn't easy!

Archived