Why Not Here?

Ripsaw

But of course the BBC don't like to give coverage to the Isle of Man full stop. If you put your post code in and click local news you get Lancashire. What is so criminal about this is this is despite not having a BBC Local Radio Station, or any notion when digital will arrive. In fact the only thing that is equal between the Isle of Man and everywhere else in the BBC's catchment area is the licence fee.

There is a report on the event on the website of the local papers, I don't have a clue who any of the performers were, but somebody might...

This Is Jersey

All in all it sounded like a good event and at least there were organisers and government departments prepared to stick their necks out and give it a go. Even the hotels and ferry companies put on special package deals to encourage off Island visitors to attend.

Edit: The event was recorded and it is hoped to be aired on Sky TV at some time in the future.

Edited by Ripsaw

There is a report on the event on the website of the local papers, I don't have a clue who any of the performers were, but somebody might...

This Is Jersey

All in all it sounded like a good event and at least there were organisers and government departments prepared to stick their necks out and give it a go. Even the hotels and ferry companies put on special package deals to encourage off Island visitors to attend.

Edit: The event was recorded and it is hoped to be aired on Sky TV at some time in the future.

Excellent event-just what we do need I wholly agree.

Firstly-where?

Secondly who?(I thought Razorlight were simply superb at Glastonbury but who has heard of them here....aside from maybe about 100 dedicated Traf/Douglas musos?)

Thirdly how much? Without serious sponsorship, subsidy or incentives getting that many bands on one bill would be expensive. Bear in mind most of that line up are from the south coast of ENGLAND or local. Of course we could tap in to Ireland and the North West no problem but who is brave enough to put on a bill of bands about to or breaking on the off chance?

Having been in the position of trying something new and bringing a band on the verge it isnt comfortable when you dont get the support.

Fourthly....lets do it!!! but not in TT or middle of winter.

Merely a humble opinion......

Oh and I had spoken with one of the Promoters back in June and he originally had Keane and Snow Patrol!!!

Didn't think much of Razorlight at Reading.

But the headliners at the Jersey event were the Thrills (you need to read down further - local jurnos tsk!) who are really quite big. As big as Snow Patrol anyway, just last years sensations and not this year's (and handicapped by having some good songs as well thus losing them the important "tosser" demographic that the despicable have tapped into).

Anyway that rant over. I'll repeat my suggestion that Supergrass headlined the tent at Reading this year. Meaning they may have dropped into the Tourist Board's price range. I think they'd be ideal for TT week - they'd appeal to the casual music fan cos of all the hits; they're experienced enough to put on "a good show" for the Mums and Dads whilst still giving something for those of us who expect a little more than what we've had in recent years.

Didn't think much of Razorlight at Reading.

But the headliners at the Jersey event were the Thrills (you need to read down further - local jurnos tsk!) who are really quite big. As big as Snow Patrol anyway, just last years sensations and not this year's (and handicapped by having some good songs as well thus losing them the important "tosser" demographic that the despicable have tapped into).

Anyway that rant over. I'll repeat my suggestion that Supergrass headlined the tent at Reading this year. Meaning they may have dropped into the Tourist Board's price range. I think they'd be ideal for TT week - they'd appeal to the casual music fan cos of all the hits; they're experienced enough to put on "a good show" for the Mums and Dads whilst still giving something for those of us who expect a little more than what we've had in recent years.

First of all Happy Birthday and secondly-even if it is/was your birthday(which is now probably yesterday!) -if the Govt or whoever gets Supergrass over for TT-are you going to say it was your idea!!! I have to agree that they have more of an all-round appeal. PM and I will tell you some of the suggested bands from the TT Thinktank!

I'm sure we can guess at the sort of bands the Tt thinktank suggest:

Frank Sinatra tribute band

Mr Blobby

Isle of Arran Town Band

Supergrass would be a great choice - don't know about them being cheapish these days though - they had a high line-up spot on the Main Stage at Glastonbury (and the crowd was massive).

The IOM festival thing would be amazing. We definitely should. Like Triskel says though it would need sponsors big time, but the Blues Festival in Laxey (probably the closest we've got) seems to manage. We have an Arts council too who could maybe help.

Where - we have loads of fields that would be perfect for such an event.

Or - how about renting out the entire Glen Wyllin campsite for a weekend? You could have different stages in each field - with one field reserved for just camping so people could buy day tickets or camping tickets - would be great!

Supergrass.....combined with the Glenn Wyllin idea?

I think Jersey have got it right though, have a couple of "known" bands and then other "unknown/up and coming" bands on the bill. If we set up a proper festival we could tempt people over from liverpool and the north west in general. The Isle of White manage to do it, Jersey have proven it can still be done, why cant the IoM get in on the act?

Heh judging by the decision this year it is a high possibility. It crosses every mark on the checklist

Something the Bikers won't like [x]

Washed up act that everyone's heard of but can name no more than 3 songs [x]

Someone affordable [x]