How Do You Pronounce Wasp?

ourtess

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wosp - even in the face of people proclaiming that I couldn't be proper Manx unless I said it waaaaaaaaaaaasp.

As an aside, I think I am becoming less Manx - in the last couple of years I've been able to say 'rat' without touching wood. At least I still pronounce cool and school with two syllables each though.

As a manxie when you say the unsayable word ''rat'' you hold your collar and whistle

I tend to say wosp then wasp, because I'm never entirely sure which is correct. I'm not sure that waaaaaaaasp is a Manx thing though, I'm sure I have had the wosp/wasp conversation with mates from the UK too.

Wosp - even in the face of people proclaiming that I couldn't be proper Manx unless I said it waaaaaaaaaaaasp.

As an aside, I think I am becoming less Manx - in the last couple of years I've been able to say 'rat' without touching wood. At least I still pronounce cool and school with two syllables each though.

As a manxie when you say the unsayable word ''rat'' you hold your collar and whistle

Not this Manxie - it's always been touching wood with me - maybe it's a Peel thing?

Sometimes wosp, sometimes wasp, and occasionally waaaaasp.

Historically scone - but I get told that's posh talk so I'm gradually converting to scon as I'd hate to be thought of as in the same set as "grarse/barth (grass/bath)" etc.

An other one I do is rrrrraaaaacket instead of rocket.

Archived