Mountain Road Closed For 2 Weeks

WilDDog

Yep from the 18th of June folks, for 2 weeks, the mountain road is closed for re-surfacing. Now I wonder if they're going to tarmac it properly or just surface dress it (spray chippings all over it).

Place your bets between now and the 18th.

Source, Isle of Man Examiner.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why the F@#K are they doing this when it's the only decent road on the island!!!

I'd love to see a decent explanation for why this needs doing compared to numerous other roads here. :angry:

Why the F@#K are they doing this when it's the only decent road on the island!!!

I'd love to see a decent explanation for why this needs doing compared to numerous other roads here. :angry:

for the same reason the mountain mile was surface dressed one year after it was relaid, to prolong the life of the road and to improve the grip.

also if you look closely at the road surface next time your going that way, you'll see the white arrows sprayed on the road indicating which bits are to be dressed, its not the whole mountain section.

Exactly. Fine if it really needs stuff doing but compared to most other roads here it's as smooth as a billiard table.

I can appreciate that's important for the races to be slightly less perilous but surely if they are capable of making the road surfaces to that standard they should be doing the same elsewhere.

In all fairness they are only doing it during the day, the road will be open for the rush hours in the morning and the evening.

In which case you can guarantee that it will be chippings so everyone can bed it in whilst wrecking their cars!

I seen a couple of wagons stockpiling chippings at the Bungalow today.

It wouldn't be so bad using chippings if they used something heavy to put them down instead of leaving it down to cars, bikes and wagons.

Even the speed limit doesn't help as you always get some tit either overtaking you and spraying the car (this person is usually not in a car they own I might add) or some idiot coming the other way at a rate of nots and spraying the side of your pride and joy with stones.

I travel all over the island in the course of my work and have seen various places being worked on today, St Marks, behind union Mills towards Ballamodha and others. These places are the back of beyond and are being surfaced and rebuilt in some cases. For one of the busiest roads on the island I am surprised it is not completely re-surfaced every year anyway. If you want to moan about bad roads go and live in England for a while and you will see really bad roads.m You don't know you're born some of you. FFS

I travel all over the island in the course of my work and have seen various places being worked on today, St Marks, behind union Mills towards Ballamodha and others. These places are the back of beyond and are being surfaced and rebuilt in some cases. For one of the busiest roads on the island I am surprised it is not completely re-surfaced every year anyway. If you want to moan about bad roads go and live in England for a while and you will see really bad roads.m You don't know you're born some of you. FFS

I'm sure we all realise we're born.

I'm glad to hear that they're working on some of the bad roads and not just patching them. But I wasn't talking about bad roads I'm talking about the correct procedure for laying chippings and I'm sure letting the general publics cars roll them in isn't correct. Shouldn't they be using some sort of heavy roller then sweeping the remainder up?

I'm glad to hear that they're working on some of the bad roads and not just patching them. But I wasn't talking about bad roads I'm talking about the correct procedure for laying chippings and I'm sure letting the general publics cars roll them in isn't correct. Shouldn't they be using some sort of heavy roller then sweeping the remainder up?

Instead of spouting off sarcastically on a public forum why don't you ring up the DOT with your questions then come back and tell us the answers.

Instead of spouting off sarcastically on a public forum why don't you ring up the DOT with your questions then come back and tell us the answers.

In answer to your reply I don't see anything sarcastic in my post.

Can't you think of anything original except to quotes posts that I've posted in answer to some of yours?

Archived