Debt Collection

TerryMcCann

Well I moved into a new flat a couple of months back and the last tenant has clearly done a bunk and left no forwarding address judging by the amount of post that is still delivered.

Today I got home and found a letter shoved under the door (recorded delivery signed for by the postman :o ) and without realising I opened it. Upon reading it I discovered that the last tenant hasn't bothered paying off his credit card and a debt collector is calling round next Thursday.

2 questions really:

1. Can I expect to return home on Thursday to find my door smashed in and my nice shiny telly missing?

2. Can a postman legally sign for a recorded delivery? (Clearly he shouldn't have done as he hasn't delivered it to the recipient)

2. Can a postman legally sign for a recorded delivery? (Clearly he shouldn't have done as he hasn't delivered it to the recipient)

The answer to that is categorically NO. (My neighbour is a postie and was just passing so I asked him). From what he said, as long as it is not in your name, you are ok.

Firstly, if the postie had done his job properly you could have declined delivery and had the letter returned to the sender "not at this address" and the agency would be forced to investigate so I'd complain about that lazy git straight off.

Secondly I'd call the company in advance and explain that the tenant is no longer there.

Thirdly, if you've any concerns after that to go Citizens Advice.

Fourthly, if they do come have your passport or drivers license to hand to prove who you are. They can't take your gear for someone elses debts so just explain your not the bloke in question back it up with ID and leave them to sort it out. If he's done a bunk its their problem not yours.

Finally if your address is blacklisted you might have trouble getting cards or loans in the future so you need to get that sorted out too. Speak with the company direct and to Citizens Advice to make sure this does not happen.

The answer to that is categorically NO. (My neighbour is a postie and was just passing so I asked him). From what he said, as long as it is not in your name, you are ok.

I'd beg to differ. When we moved down to port erin we knew it'd be a ballache when it came to parcels as the post office would normally be closed when we get home to pick stuff up.

So we asked them and they gave us a form to sign to say that the postie can leave parcels including recorded/signed for stuff here. I'd guess that because it was a form they had to hand there & then that it's an official thing.

The only stuff they will not leave regardless of this are special delivery items.

Its a common problem

If you move into a house which has had as a previous occupant a person who has a poor credit record there are certain things you must do.

First do not ignore the letters which arrive

Second do not just return " no longer at this address"

For the first month forward if you have an address, its polite. Send a covering note to say you are only doing out of politeness and at end of month will be opening mail and returning to sender

Three, at month end, or earlier if you do not gave an address open all mail, keep a record and return it with a covering letter either

I return your letter. I moved here on<> no one of that name now lives here. <> now lives at----------------, please amend your records accordingly( or I do not know where <> now resides, please do not write to <> at this address)

Don't worry the colectors will not be able to take your stuff, but it is stressful. Less stressful to be proactive in the first place

Now there are things you must do for your credit woorthiness. You must sort out credit reference agencies. Ask to look at your record and the record for your address. There are 3 0r 4 you need to write to.

Tell them in simle terms that <> has moved away, is nothing to do with you, and you want that marking on your record.

I will be submitting a complaint to the post office on Monday

Are you sure it was the postie? could it have been one of your neighbours? Even if it was a postman, what will your complaint achieve? Its a debt collection letter not exactly something of importance. I think you could be into trouble for opening someone elses mail, the "I didnt notice it was addressed to someone with a completely different name to me" excuse really is very lame. Nosey poke :)

Its a debt collection letter not exactly something of importance.

It's probably important to the company chasing the debt who now believe that their letter has been successfully delivered to the debtor and also the innocent person that may now be blacklisted

1. PO not open Monday

2. Once delivered you can open, what is more you must, to protect your credit record

Doubtless I'm wrong about this, but I thought it was naughty (as in illegal) to open letters addressed to other people, even if they come to your house?

When we moved into our place we got loads of mail for the previous occupants, I just did a "return to sender" which didn't help, so in the end I went to the local sorting office and specifically requested that they stop delivering any mail that wasn't address to me or Mrs Turnip.

Excellently, that seemed to work a treat, although it now appears it may have been a bad idea.

(My instinct was to open the letters, to see what the fuss was about, but I thought I wasn't allowed to, and we never had a forwarding address to start with.)

Now there are things you must do for your credit woorthiness. You must sort out credit reference agencies. Ask to look at your record and the record for your address. There are 3 0r 4 you need to write to.

One tip on that score:

http://www.checkmyfile.com/

Check all the major credit reference agencies for you and deliver the reports from them all, (online as well!), saves a lot of faffing about. (Costs a bit more though.)

Archived