Five Years Of Roadworks

TerryMcCann

MOTORISTS are to suffer yet more roadworks in the coming weeks.

The first year of a five-year programme of major road reconstruction is to get under way

Full story......

Iomonline

If this means some decent road surfaces outside of the TT course then I would say good thing.

If it means ever more roundabouts round the Douglas Ring Road then I would say waste of money. Why are they so obsessed by a ring road anyway?

Either way traffic delays a plenty for all. Good job I will be able to walk into work shortly

The first year of a five-year programme of major road reconstruction is to get under way

Talking of roadworks (cor this is an early thread hijack!), I've been watching the dot lads resurface main road onchan with some fascination.

Why is it that most of the procedure seems to be automated, yet you still need a bunch of lads to stand around and watch the automation? It's really weird to watch this tarmacking machine slowly work its way up the road, and five guys keeping pace with it....doing nothing at all.

What are they there for, to provide moral support?

There was something from the DoT in the Examiner a couple of weeks ago about this.

Apparently one man has to wait for another to complete his work before moving onto his bit of the job, Therefore a lot of the time men are left standing around waiting.

The word multitasking does not appear in the DoT dictionary

If you were watching as closely as I was, you would have noticed that one of the workforce drives the machine while another one does the levels on the back plate. Another of the one of the workers has to unclip the tailboard of the wagon when it backs into the machine.The machine lays the tarmac but at the end of a run it leaves a large pile of tarmac that has to be manually moved before the tar starts to go off.

Talking of roadworks (cor this is an early thread hijack!), I've been watching the dot lads resurface main road onchan with some fascination.

Why is it that most of the procedure seems to be automated, yet you still need a bunch of lads to stand around and watch the automation? It's really weird to watch this tarmacking machine slowly work its way up the road, and five guys keeping pace with it....doing nothing at all.

It is normal procedure if you work for the DOT, one person working and the other four stand around watching, drinking coffee and smoking.

Pha!

You shoud see the mess they made of perfectly reasonable bit of road out side my house!

Some numpty dropped diesel on a patch - they came along - dug it up and 're layed it' parked their rollers and junk next to it over night and guess what ........ another diesel patch - waiting to rot the road.

If you were watching as closely as I was, you would have noticed that one of the workforce drives the machine while another one does the levels on the back plate. Another of the one of the workers has to unclip the tailboard of the wagon when it backs into the machine.The machine lays the tarmac but at the end of a run it leaves a large pile of tarmac that has to be manually moved before the tar starts to go off.

Wait a minute. There's a guy who's only job is to unclip a tailboard on a wagon?

Wait a minute. There's a guy who's only job is to unclip a tailboard on a wagon?

I believe so. When the tarmac arrived that's what one of them has to do each time a wagon went under the tar laying machine.

That same person had to do other tasks as well, such things as drinking tea, watching and smoking.

That's Wilddog!

I should say yep that's me and then someone would start yelling "wilddog" at the guy unclipping the tailboards and he wouldn't have a clue wtf was going on.

But sorry Declan it's not me.

Archived