Daevid Allen's University Of Error's - Iom Gig?

Static

Right then.....I'm trying to gauge interest here in bringing a stalwart of the British Psychedelic scene over here towards the end of May.

Daevid Allen, founding member of The Soft Machine in 1966 with Robert Wyatt, Mike Ratledge and Kevin Ayers, founder of Gong in 1969, Planet Gong with the Here and Now band in 1977, still plays live at the venerable age of 70 (last month!!) with various incarnations of Gong and also as a member of Daevid Allen's University of Error's.

I've got the opportunity of bringing Daevid and the University of Errors over here for a one off gig, hopefully at Peel Centenary centre and wanted to get some feedback on peoples interest.

I'd love to do this and the band are really up for playing somewhere new but the costs of getting them over here plus the venue hire and equipment needed make it a bit risky for me financially. So if any people are interested is seeng someone who is still at the cutting edge of psychedelic rock or can offer the loan of decent equipment or expertise (like marshall amps and a decent drum kit, less cymbals) then please reply here or PM me. Ticket prices are likely to be in the region of £12 to enable me to cover costs.

If you have any interest in superb guitar based psychedellic rock then these are an absolutely wonderful band led by a mucisian/poet whose energy and vitality belies his age.

For further links/info, then see here:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...b8-19f35febf0a1

http://www.universityoferrors.com/

http://www.planetgong.co.uk/

And at his 70th birthday party last month:

So come on....give me some good feedback or the offer of some equipment on loan for a night and I'll get this arranged. Provisional date of Friday 23rd May.

I've seen him live a few times years ago. I wouldn't go out of my way to do it now but I'd be interested in going if it was on the island and would pay 12 quid at a push. My only misgiving would be the venue, imh opinion an artist such as DA needs a seedy sort of dive where the audience can mill around skinning up whilst possibly downing a ton of acid. Can't think of a place like that on island unfortunately.

Incidentally, though some of his gigs with various bands have been really good, some of his solo performances have been bizarre to say the least.

I've seen him live a few times years ago. I wouldn't go out of my way to do it now but I'd be interested in going if it was on the island and would pay 12 quid at a push. My only misgiving would be the venue, imh opinion an artist such as DA needs a seedy sort of dive where the audience can mill around skinning up whilst possibly downing a ton of acid. Can't think of a place like that on island unfortunately.

Incidentally, though some of his gigs with various bands have been really good, some of his solo performances have been bizarre to say the least.

You're right about a seedy dive being the better venue but where is there now on the IOM? I thought about the Old Friends hall in Finch Road as it's a great venue but only holds about 175 and doesn't have a house PA or sound engineers whereas the Centenary centre throws both in for the hire charge. and as for skinning up in a venue...you won't even be able to smoke straights inside by the time this gig is on!

And I'd agree that his solo performances can range from a great semi-acoustic set to the outright odd (ala the Divided Alien stuff).

Thanks for the feedback, lol, lol. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hello!

This is fabulous news. I'm thrilled that Daevid is coming to the Island, and will most definitely be at the gig!

Thanks very much for putting this gig on.

Any chance you could maybe get the Hadouk Trio over too?

Hello!

This is fabulous news. I'm thrilled that Daevid is coming to the Island, and will most definitely be at the gig!

Thanks very much for putting this gig on.

Any chance you could maybe get the Hadouk Trio over too?

Glad you're looking forward to it....I am immensely. Full details here: http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23476

As to the Hadouk Trio...I'd love to get them over here but I've never seen them play outside France yet. The new CD + DVD, Baldamore is sublime.....saw them at the UnCon in 2006 and fell in love with their music. I'd always loved Didier's playing with Gong/Daevid but his work with Hadouk is amazing.

Sorry but can't get Alibaba blacksheep have you any bull**** out of my head now, lol! (sorry!)

"Chicken and cheese chicken and cheese ..."

That kind of stuff runs through my head all the time!

Hadouk are playing in France around the end of May, a couple of us are thinking of going. The live a Fip cd is inspired. Not heard the new one yet, though i've heard great things about it.

Dug out a live University of Errors cd yesterday (Bananamoon Obscura 7 I think) and it's just put me in the mood even more!

• 7 years later...

Well! I knew the man was ill, but I didn't realise he had died in March. sad.png What a guy! Obituary here in the Guardian. And well done to Static for getting him here while it was possible. A rare treat for the Isle of Man. I think this is courtesy of thebees.....

Brilliant.......

I'd be interested in going if it was on the island and would pay 12 quid at a push.

Tightwad! 12 quid is a bargain for that gig!

Are you trying for the record for the longest period of time between a posting and an insult?

That gig was completely awesome, Josh Pollock is a total nutjob. There seemed to be an incredible amount of love out there for Daevid when news of his illness and ultimately death came out. Gong est mort, Vive Gong.

• 1 year later...

Archived