Chinese Restaurants

lfc84

Empress Hotel all you can eat £17 ph

Dragging this thread back up because just wanted to voice my opinion on Aroma. Was there with a group of friends on saturday night and wouldn't go again. Most of the food was decent enough but the place was filthy....food and dirty serviettes all over the floor under our table and the mirrored wall at the foot of the table was so grimy it was like looking at yourself through fog.

The waiters are also pretty keen to take your plates away. More or less the second someone had cleared their plate a waiter was there taking it away. Gives you the impression that they're in a hurry to get rid of you.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The waiters are also pretty keen to take your plates away. More or less the second someone had cleared their plate a waiter was there taking it away. Gives you the impression that they're in a hurry to get rid of you.

Wong Kei wannabes, pffft, lol.....; )

The idea to clear the plates away quickly is so you can get more food on a fresh plate and not mix up the flavors of the different foods,

I used to always use the imperial dragon but would say its gone tit's-up since the owners changed, had a meal in there once after it changed hands and they completely fouled up the order,the service was very poor they had a child waiter maybe (13 yrs old tops) who tried her best serving the food and alcohol but the kitchen service was properly terrible, at the end of the meal i contested the bill as it showed drinks and food that we did not have, this i could prove it was the table had not yet been cleared of empties the whole meals and the manageress who had spoken good English all evening in the background suddenly lost the ability to understand what i was saying :angry: ,

I was going to pay by card for the whole meal but then decided it was better for each individual person was to pay what they thought was fair for what we had received and we all walked out , strangely the manageress remembered now how to speak in English just enough to shout and hurl abuse at my friends and I,

hence why we won't be going back

Doesn't all Chinese food just come from the same wholesalers out B&Q way?

I always feel short-changed after a meal in a Chinese 'restaurant' over here - if you look at what you get for takeaway prices it's bad enough, but when you're lashing out full eat-in prices and add drinks on as well, you're really better off going somewhere that actually cooks some proper food.

It's also a bit of an eye-opener when you go to a Chinese restaurant across, and get more of an idea about what Chinese food is actually like. (i.e. Not radioactive red sauces and strange little chewy battered balls of chicken.)

IMO there isn't a decent Chinese restaurant on the IOM, although some of the takeaways are palatable. (The food's the same, but it's more reasonably priced.)

The idea to clear the plates away quickly is so you can get more food on a fresh plate and not mix up the flavors of the different foods,

That's fair enough but it was literally the second you were taking the last piece of food from your plate. To be reaching over people who were still eating in order to clear the plates isn't on in my opinion. Maybe if they'd concentrated on clearing the food and serviettes from the floor under the table the meal may have been more enjoyable.

Virtually every one is sub-standard and an average meal is a surprise. Mind you, the Singapore special rice with Singapore noodles from the takeaway in Port Erin are quite appertising.

We were encouraged when we first went to the Chinese in Peel when it first opened. The menu was varied, better than the usual mundane options and well-prepared.

Two subsequent visits have seen it decline to the general low standards across the Isle.

Buy a cookery book and get the ingredients from the same place the restaurants do. At least you won't be getting a sh1tload of MSG for your tea.

The Mrs and I went out on Thursday evening for a bite to eat and decided to try Aroma. The staff were attrocious, now I know most waiting staff these days are from eastern europe but this guy didnt even speak english. The place looked dirty. We didnt get shown to a table we just went in and sat down. Saw some kind of buffet table in the middle, didnt really know what to do. Noone came over for 10 mins so we left.

Bloody awful place. We ended up going to our old favourite of La Piazza and as always we got great service and great food.

So much for a change is as good as a rest.

• 3 weeks later...

Went with some friends to Aroma last night. Place was packed, staff were ok, but yeah not much english. Everything was going fine until about half way through the meal, when we noticed that the dishes weren't being re-filled. Much complaining from me and others but no food was forthcoming. It's not a cheap place, you pay for all you can eat, but when there's nowt to eat it's pretty crap. Staff were saying the chineese chef doesn't speak english or something, dire.

Went with some friends to Aroma last night. Place was packed, staff were ok, but yeah not much english. Everything was going fine until about half way through the meal, when we noticed that the dishes weren't being re-filled. Much complaining from me and others but no food was forthcoming. It's not a cheap place, you pay for all you can eat, but when there's nowt to eat it's pretty crap. Staff were saying the chineese chef doesn't speak english or something, dire.

I trust you didn't pay the full amount on the bill when it was presented to you?

It's the only way the message will get through to some of these places, we've started being quite militant about simply refusing to pay the full bill if some aspect of the service or food is deficient enough to warrant such action.

I don't know what the legal position on it is, but a restaurant owner would have to be pretty bloody dumb to try and pursue action against a customer if (using your example) the food ran out half way through an 'all you can eat' buffet.

I trust you didn't pay the full amount on the bill when it was presented to you?

Nope, he knocked a fair bit off. This was after waiting an hour or so for the fresh food that was apparently coming out.

I don't know what the legal position on it is, but a restaurant owner would have to be pretty bloody dumb to try and pursue action against a customer if (using your example) the food ran out half way through an 'all you can eat' buffet.

As I understand it, if you are not happy with the meal, you are allowed to pay what you think is reasonable, but you should leave your name and address with the restaurant, so that if they do not agree with you they can pursue a claim against you.

• 1 month later...

Yup. Little China in Laxey. Great personal service, made to order, however you want it. If its not on the menu they'll make it. Chinese Beer and good wine list. Once youve been and introduced yourself, Jenni the owner will remember you.

If only more resaurants were like this.

Reluctant to associate them with Browns which is a complete disgrace and should be shut down. ( It is up for sale!)...but its upstairs.

Best service and food, asian style,you can get IMHO.

p.s You even get hot prawn crackers !!! :D

Archived