Fiat 500, The Hunt Is On...

dmrbike

I have decide to get myself a Fiat 500, the old classic one, not the new expensive one. There were a few still kicking around the Island, but i'm dammed if I can find one now. Anyone know of one quietly rotting in a barn somewhere ?.

Thanks

Pete

I have decide to get myself a Fiat 500, the old classic one, not the new expensive one. There were a few still kicking around the Island, but i'm dammed if I can find one now. Anyone know of one quietly rotting in a barn somewhere ?.

Thanks

Pete

Not much chance. Even bangers are touching on 2 grand. Best I found was a nice one at about 3 grand a few years back but it was sold before I got there. They're anything upto £5k for a good one in the UK now.

Thanks

Pete

Not much chance. Even bangers are touching on 2 grand. Best I found was a nice one at about 3 grand a few years back but it was sold before I got there. They're anything upto £5k for a good one in the UK now.

And much higher. This is a good indicator of the way the market for them has taken off.

http://www.fiat500direct.co.uk/fiat_500.php

Right, I've really got to ask - what on earth is so special about these cars?

To look at, it's like the Italian equivalent of the Mini and originals of them don't fetch that sort of money so what makes the Fiat 500 so different?

I know it has a bit of a following (Jean Alesi, the ex Formula 1 driver still has one) but really - over £1k for that rusting example on the ebay link provided - what gives?

I remember using them at banger racing meetings in the 80's, they were great for the 'rollover' always got a prize which paid for the petrol. I must have trashed at least 8 and left them there to be scrapped. Mind you, I also buried an SX200 in my mates garden because it wouldn't start.

Archived