Fear Of Flying

Minnie

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did you know if you're tall you're more likely to die in a plane crash cos taller people have more difficulty in adopting the brace position.

I'm 6'3", and my legs are so tightly wedged in against the seat infront that I'm firmly braced throughout the flight :).

The difficulty comes in 'unbracing'! :o

My old gliding instructor (a vetran pilot from WWII) told me if you're about to crash, empty your bladder - just pee your pants - reason is the impact of a crash can lead to a ruptured bladder - that can be one of the biggest hazzards in a crash. I can't remember ever hearing that anywhere outside gliding - even though the seatbelts they have in commercial flights would only make this worse. I imagine maybe they don't want people peeing on the seats at the slightest bump.

Apparently more people would survive plane crashes if the seats were the other way around. Something to do with your legs swinging forward in a sudden impact and breaking on the chair in front. Broken legs means even if you're lucky enough to survive, you can't get off.

As a test we should strap Heather Mills into a plane and crash it and see if only half of her gets killed to death.

Obviously not a scientific test but worthy nonetheless

I used to be absolutely terrified of flying and used to need diazepam even for short flights. Two of those and the plane could bounce down the runway in flames and you wouldn't care! Nowadays I'm a lot better esp when on a plane with Mr Blackajah who is fully conversant with every noise, lurch etc and tells me what they are and I'm fine. We had a flight round the Island a while back in a small, single engined plane and it was completely different from commercial flights and I loved every minute. We had good weather which helped, but it really was brilliant and I can recommend it.

.....did you know if you're tall you're more likely to die in a plane crash cos taller people have more difficulty in adopting the brace position. I'm 6ft so would probably die.....ans, you're definitely fucked if the pilot shouts brace.

Apparently more people would survive plane crashes if the seats were the other way around. Something to do with your legs swinging forward in a sudden impact and breaking on the chair in front. Broken legs means even if you're lucky enough to survive, you can't get off.

that's actually true- military transporters have theirs back to front. I like the smaller planes actually, you'll find the proximity of the pilot more comforting

As a test we should strap Heather Mills into a plane and crash it and see if only half of her gets killed to death.

Obviously not a scientific test but worthy nonetheless

That reminds me of part of the divorce settlement that was leaked. McCartney offered to buy her a plane for her troubles. And some Veet for the other leg.

I fly long haul a couple of times a year and I also occasionally go lobster fishing with Homarus

During one of my long flights I worked out that statistically I was 35,000 times more likely to die prematurely on his boat than crashing in an airliner

I had many a wild flight in and out of the IOM, but nothing compares to the mortal terror of lobster fishing with Homarus.

I would recommend half an hour lifting lobster pots off Clay Head, after that you could fly 6g aerobatic without a second thought

Archived