Fear Of Flying

Minnie

Poor Minnie...victim of another supportive MF thread. Funny though...

Yes, smaller aeroplanes do suffer a little more turbulence, but a 14-seater should be smooth enough, and LBA is only what - half an hour or so away?

Don't be afraid of flying - statistically it's safer than surfing the internet - and the smaller the aeroplane (planes are for wood, my old instructor pointed out repeatedly) the higher the chance of landing it safely if anything DID go wrong. If your worry is based on the unknown forces involved, Google a quick tutorial on aerodynamics - understanding the process may help overcome your fear.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I aint that keen on flying myself anymore, but all i keep telling myself is that the captain wouldnt get in the plane and fly it every day if he had any worries.

works for me.

oh and dont watch aircrash investigation on sky

It probably will be bumpier and noiser, but that doesn't mean it's not safe. Buses can be bumpy and noisy also. Be prepared to expect that. A good deal of the fear is because it is not in your control - you can't run away or do anything about it if something were to go wrong (which is incredibly unlikely). That magnifies the sense of threat completely out of proportion. Put your efforts into the one thing you can control - whether the flight is a terrible frightening experience which gets you safely to your destination, or a passably ok one which gets you safely to your destination. Being terrified doesn't make the plane safer than it already is - so don't let it get to you.

If you succeed in not being too frightened this time, it will just get easier. Visualise the flight beforehand with being ok about it and feeling good about taking the flight without too much fear. Remember times when you have pulled through despite feeling anxious. Break the flight into 10min chunks. Give yourself a big pat on the back for each 10mins you have without being panicky. When you do feel a sudden panic, remember it's just a chemical reaction in the brain, and totally irrational and there's nothing actually to fear - even though it might feel that way. Breathe, relax, and get it back under control. In any case, panic stops you thinking clearly and drains energy, and is generally something that makes one less safe.

Quite honesty, the biggest danger you face is cabin luggage falling on you from an overhead locker, having hot tea spill in your lap, or falling down the steps when you get on or off the plane. Watch out for those things, and you'll be fine.

Come back and tell us how you got on, and make the flight something you'll be able to be proud of. :)

I went on that plane in December from Leeds/Bradford to the Isle of Man. It does experience slightly more bumpiness as it's a small plane but it's nothing too scary. Also, try and be one of the first on, and sit at the back of the plane. As there isn't a door to go to the pilots section at the front of the plane, you will be able to see out the front window which may be a little scary.

Minnie

As Bombay Bad Boy said - maybe not seriously - going for a trial lesson at Manx Flyers isn't such a bad idea. I used to do quite a lot of flying in light aircraft, and I took a few friends along who had a fear of flying. Almost without exception, they were pretty nervous at the beginning - but after 30 minutes, (and they had 'had a go' themselves), they actually started to enjoy it once they had started to understand what was going on. Even in these small aircraft, you start to understand the various phases of the flight - and know where all the noises are coming from.

Micky

I wholeheartedly agree, i never loved flying anyway but was generally okay with it but after watching that programme a couple of times I'm never flying again, ever!

Poor Minnie...victim of another supportive MF thread. Funny though...

Would think there was something wrong and I'd feel a bit let down if I read nothing but serious, supportive comments!

I have actually flown quite a lot in the past but my fear has grown progressively worse over the last few years. There have been a couple of incidents which haven't helped with my fear. Being an arse and reading stuff on the net doesn't help either.....did you know if you're tall you're more likely to die in a plane crash cos taller people have more difficulty in adopting the brace position. I'm 6ft so would probably die.....ans, you're definitely fucked if the pilot shouts brace.

I wholeheartedly agree, i never loved flying anyway but was generally okay with it but after watching that programme a couple of times I'm never flying again, ever!

Oh - aircrash investigation is ace! That 747 that lost all 4 engines over a vulcano, or the regional flight that crash landed in a field, or the one with the suicidal pilot on the fedex flight, or...sorry..not helping, am I? :rolleyes:

Flying is perfectly safe and loads of fun - more chance of getting hit by a bus on the way to tesco than anything happening on a flight.

you're definitely fucked if the pilot shouts brace.

Or Banzai!

Seriously though, perhaps a couple of happy pills as suggested above might make things a wee bit easier. You're not alone, I dislike flying and I suspect a lot of people if they were really honest, would admit the same.

.....did you know if you're tall you're more likely to die in a plane crash cos taller people have more difficulty in adopting the brace position. I'm 6ft so would probably die.....ans, you're definitely fucked if the pilot shouts brace.

Apparently more people would survive plane crashes if the seats were the other way around. Something to do with your legs swinging forward in a sudden impact and breaking on the chair in front. Broken legs means even if you're lucky enough to survive, you can't get off.

Archived